WHS and U-Verse Mediashare RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS with pp3 beta installed. I recently switched from Charter to U-verse for everything; other than changing some ip addresses, everything works fine. U-verse uses LAN for connections to its set top boxes. They recently added a 'Mediashare' tab to the set top boxes for use with home computers running Windows Media Player 11 and up. They have instructions on how to tell Media Player to stream content to the set top boxes through a screen the shows network devices by ip address, and then allowing that device to connect.

Nowhere on the WHS can I find a place to do this; I can share content to computers connected to the WHS, but see no place to share to other devices.

I ended up doing the WMP11 hack to get it installed on the home server, and that works fine, but would rather not have to force the issue.

Should one of the power packs have added this capability? Or am I just missing the obvious? I guess I expected one of the power packs to bring up media sharing on the WHS to WMP11 ability...

Thanks.

Ned Buckmaster
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:50 AM

All replies

• No, media sharing in Windows Media Player is not the type of sharing that Windows Home Server does. So a device that can only see a WMP 11 shared library won't see the shared library on your server. That device might be able to access the file shares directly, though; you will have to consult with U-Verse and any documentation you might have for how to do that on the U-Verse side. On the Windows Home Server side, often all that's needed it to activate the Guest account and grant it READ access to the appropriate shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:45 PM