Can't reinstall WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having scattered issues with my WHS machine, so when I got some new storage drives I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch.

WHS install will boot up and scan hardware, but on the first install screen where it asks for input (time zone and keyboard localization) the drop-down menus are empty and the install fails.

I have tried it a few times, and cannot get it to go.  Any input would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• I actually found the problem...

I had a bad optical drive.

Disc was clean, so I formatted the drive and got a new error - "unable to initialize UI"

Swapped the optical drive because it spun up differently on each attempt.

It is currently installing without a problem.  I assume that the minor problems that prompted my reinstall were likely caused by the same bad dvd drive...

EDIT:  Just an FYI - I did not change the OS drive, I got new drives to add to the pool.
    • Marked as answer by Vitamin J Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:25 PM

All replies

• Sometimes a simple disc cleaning  works wonders (Clean install cd & check for scratches, mars and such). Just for grins, since you've changed your drives, you might want to ensure jumpers and bios settings are correctly set.
    I don't sign in much - I browse a lot - Post even less
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Please try also to reset your Bios to default settings.
    How much memory does your home server have?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:34 PM
  • I actually found the problem...

I had a bad optical drive.

Disc was clean, so I formatted the drive and got a new error - "unable to initialize UI"

Swapped the optical drive because it spun up differently on each attempt.

It is currently installing without a problem.  I assume that the minor problems that prompted my reinstall were likely caused by the same bad dvd drive...

EDIT:  Just an FYI - I did not change the OS drive, I got new drives to add to the pool.
    • Marked as answer by Vitamin J Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:25 PM