What is Composite Document File V2 Document? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to write a script to find out if a given document is of the format .doc or not. Iam using Amazon Linux machine. I tried to make use of the linux file command. For a given doc file(word document) the file command outputs the file information as following:

sample_file.doc: Composite Document File V2 Document, No summary info

I found out that file command provides the same file type information for 2003 excel files (.xls).

I want to know what all file types (like doc,xls) come under Composite Document File V2 Document and how I can check if given file is a doc file or not in Amazon Linux 2012 machine?

I tried to find the mime info of the particular file using "file --mime" command.

I got "application/msword" as mime type for most of the doc files.

For few files I got "application/CDFV2-encrypted" as the mime type.

What all are the possible mime types available for a microsoft doc file (.doc) ?

Is Composite Document File V2 Document and CDFV2  specific to microsoft document ? In that case how can I differentiate word doc files from other microsoft documents ?

Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Kenadams_2015,

This forum is for developers discussing developing issues about apps for Office.

>>I got "application/msword" as mime type for most of the doc files.<<

It seems that the command return the Office MIME types. If I understand correctly, you can refer to link below about this types:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsofficedeveloper/archive/2008/05/08/office-2007-open-xml-mime-types.aspx

>>Is Composite Document File V2 Document and CDFV2  specific to microsoft document ? In
    that case how can I differentiate word doc files from other microsoft documents
    ?<<

I woud suggest that you get support from linux forum since this file type is return on the Linux machine. Also if you want to learn about Office document formats, here is the helpful forum:

Office XML, ODF, and Binary File Formats

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 12, 2015 2:44 AM