Windows Update - Turns OnceCare Red RRS feed

• General discussion

• Vista Ultimate 32

If you change your Windows Update settings to anything but "Install updates automatically", your OnceCare system tray icon turns Red.  For example, I prefer "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them", and when set this way, OnceCare says, "You are at risk!!  Alert, Alert !!"

This is silly.  If you completely turn off Windows Update, I could see OnceCare turning red to let you know, but as long as Windows Update it is turned on, it should stay Green.  With my preferred WU setting, my OneCare icon is always red, which could mask any Real threat on my PC...

There are a number of valid reasons for not wanting Windows to install updates without checking them first.  As a matter of fact, many in the business recommend this.  All it takes is one time installing a Windows Update that Windows says you need - that then crashes your PC - before you learn not to do this.

Please change the way the OneCare icon displays color.  It should only be Red if there is a Real Threat on your PC.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:43 AM