Mysterious power ups and power downs RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been using WHS for about a month and I quite like it, with the help of this forum I have worked around most of the strange quirks.

However something new is happening, The PC running WHS will power up from a Shutdown state seemingly at random, the converse also happens, it will shutdown from a powered up idle state for no apparent reason.

The Etherenet NIC is not configured for network power up or shutdown. I did try configuring it for Magic Packet power up but could not get it to work so I de-configured it. However it exhibits this strange random action which has me scratching my head. I cannot guarantee that having powered it up in the morning, it will still be up when I return. When I re-power it up it comes up perfectly.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:33 PM

All replies

• May be a separate issue:  I don't see power ups/downs, but do see one client, running vista ultimate x86, waking from an s3 sleep state on its own and not going back to sleep.  Occasionally when it does this the display will not awaken with it, and I have to reboot.

It also will sometimes hang when being put into a sleep state, requiring a reboot.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Does the Event Log on the server show anything interesting?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Nothing on the server, and it's just on the one client.  The El Cheepo HP my wife uses for web surfing in her office doesn't do this, nor does the recently built HTPC in our media room, running vista home premium.  All drivers on the problem client are up to date.  It's also the only overclocked PC in the mix, an E6700 clocked to 3.10.  No problems with any apps that I have noticied, no other crashes or hangs.  When I have some time I'll back off the OC a bit and see if that makes a difference.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:47 AM