Micorsoft Money 2002 M10 version : software issue RRS feed

• Question

• Team

I am using Microsoft Money 2002 M10 US version for the past 13 years . Suddenly my system crashed and I am not able to open the database file. I do not have the software support of Microsoft Money 2002 M10 version and hence unable to open the database file.

I have tried getting the download link of the above mentioned version but not able to get it from  microsoft website.

I have tried the other version which is microsoft money, deluexe and sunset version but still not able to open the database file as it shows that the database is created with an older version.

Database file type : .mny

Current Windows version : window 10 pro 64bit.

I am stuck up here and need to get support to open my file urgently as all my data for the last 13 years are stored there.

Also kindly share link to download Microsoft Money 2002 M10 version .

You may also call me at  to understand the issue better.

Thanking you

Sanjiv Kumar Agarwal

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:29 PM phone number removed (public forum)
    • Edited by SANJIVK Friday, July 13, 2018 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 5:17 AM

All replies

• What nationality is the copy of 2002 that you are using, International English?

Do you have any backup files that can be opened? These would be files with the extension of .mbf

Bob - MSN Mobile

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Do not post multiple times with the same problem.

See Features/Differences in the Microsoft Money 2002 US Versions.
    Which version did you have? It would have been installed from a CD, which you should have kept.

There is no download link for any version of Microsoft Money except those shown in the second, sticky post in this forum.

Note the possible need for an intermediate installation when upgrading to Money Sunset.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 8:29 AM
  • First, make sure that you have good backups of your Money 2002 Money.mny file in case anything goes wrong.

If your Money 2002 is a US version, then see this post:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

which gives a link to a download to US Money 2004.  Install it and then use it to open your Money 2002 file.  When you do a save, it will save it as a Money 2004 file.  Then uninstall Money 2004 and install US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset using the second "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

This will read the Money 2004 file and you should be good to go.  One additional thing, - be sure to also do the mnyob99.dll replacement that is described in the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Post back if your Money 2002 is not a US version or if you need help with any of this.

Bill Becker

Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:07 AM
  • I have tried the other version which is microsoft money, deluexe and sunset version but still not able to open the database file as it shows that the database is created with an older version.

I suspect that was not the actual error message. In particular I doubt it said "older".

You may need the Money 2005 International English version.

Friday, July 6, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi Bob..The version must be US version. Also I do not have any back up file. Kindly help.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:56 PM
  • Thanks Bill for your kind support. Will surely check and revert.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:59 PM
  • Unfortunately, since the problem happened right after the computer crashed, the most likely problem is that the file was not closed correctly which means that it is corrupt. Without any backups, your only hope is if you can run the salvage utility and that it is able to fix the file.

Go to the folder where you installed Money, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2002\MnyCoreFiles.

The folder MnyCoreFiles may be hidden, but if you type it in, you will see the files. Double-click Salv.exe, select your file and create a new file name for the repaired file. Run level 1, then run level 2, then run level 1 again.

Now see if the repaired file can be opened by Money.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:38 PM
  • Hi Bob..The version must be US version. Also I do not have any back up file. Kindly help.

In a command window, run the following commands

dir \*.mbf /s

dir \*.mny /s

dir \*.m1? /s

Those will take a while, but they will search the drive for any Money backup files, Money data files, or a file that might have been saved when installing a later version.

It will find sample.mny, but you want something else.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:55 PM
  • Dear Bill...I used the first link to download the file. File name appeared as     m12usweb.exe. But filed is not downloaded. It is showing as "Failed-Forbidden". Also I would like to know in which windows it will work.

Kindly help.

Regds

Friday, July 13, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Hi Bob...My C drive is formatted. Only database file is available.

Regds

Friday, July 13, 2018 8:23 AM
  • SANJIVK, Yes, m12usweb.exe is the file you need. The "Failed=Forbidden" error message sound like a permissions problem with Windows. Try logging out of your Windows user account and logging back in with administrator privileges. The file will work with any version of Windows from Windows XP to Windows 10.

Bill Becker

Friday, July 13, 2018 1:21 PM
  • Once you reinstall a version of Money, it will install Salv.exe to the MnyCoreFiles folder.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Saturday, July 14, 2018 2:38 AM
  • Dear Bill..can u pl pl help me by sending the file to my email ID ie sanjivk_agarwal@yahoo.com. It will be of great help as I am still unable to open the file. I desperately need the programme. Thanks
    Monday, July 23, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Dear Bill..can u pl pl help me by sending the file to my email ID ie sanjivk_agarwal@yahoo.com. It will be of great help as I am still unable to open the file. I desperately need the programme. Thanks

I just tried the link to m12usweb.exe that is in what is currently the second post in this forum. It still works. For me, "it" is downloading m12usweb.exe.

Are you using Edge?

Monday, July 23, 2018 4:37 PM
  • SANJIVK,

I emailed you a Dropbox link to the Money 2004 version that you can use to convert your Money 2002 to the format that US Money Plus Sunset will open.

Bill Becker

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Dear Bill....I tried to convert Money 2002 with 2004 version as shared by you . But is still saying that the Money cannot open the file because it was created by an incompitable version. Pl help and guide.

Regds

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:41 PM
  • If the error message is "Incompatible version" then your Money.mny file was created with some version other than the US version of Money 2002.  You will have to do some experimenting.  Try downloading and installing the Money 2005 International English version from the first post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

If that gives the same error, try the Money 2005 UK version.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Love You Dear Bill. I am now able to open my file with 2005 International English Version. Retrieved all the data from 2005 onwards.

You have been a great help to me and I will remember you for ever. 

Many Many Thanks for your Kind support.

With Warm Regards

Sanjiv Kumar Agarwal

Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:38 AM