Log Off and Freezes RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Windows Home server for about 5 months.  In the last month I have been experiencing some strange issues.  I wasn't sure how to go about this issue.  I should let you know that I have no monitor hooked up to the computer so I can't check it for any errors.

Now let's get into the problem.  There are times when the Home Server Console freezes and then logs me out.  In some instances I can log in within 5 minutes but there are other times when the Home Server warning icon turns white (saying that it has lost connection to server).  When that happens I have to force restart my computer from the power button.

I tend to stream videos from my home server and it seems like during these reboots the movies stop streaming.  Then after the server reboots I can continue the video again. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
    Friday, May 9, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• I think I know what is going on here.  I originally got an evaluation copy of Windows Home Server about 5 months ago.  It was an evaluation copy that was only suppose to last for 4 months.  After about 75 days I had forgetten when I had installed it so I checked the expiration date.  It said it was going to expire in 105 days.  So I figured I had 105 days.  Although even though it said it would expire in 105 days it really meant it was going to drop to a limited version in 45 days. 

That 45 days came and my computer started to shut down after about an hour.  I didn't realize it was occuring on a regular basis but it probably was shutting down in regular intervals.  Unfortunately because windows home server never gave me any messages I believed it to be a corrupt OS or a damaged computer.  So I pursued the computer route.

After a little over a month of not finding anything I decided to post this question on the board.  I got a reply to install the toolkit.  I looked at the logs and after a reboot it had a message stating:

"applicaton popup"

Application popup: Windows - Windows Evaluation Notification : The evaluation period for this installation of Windows has expired. This system will shutdown in 1 hour. To restore access to this installation of Windows, please upgrade this installation using a licensed distribution of this product.

This is not a message that would every pop-up for me when I logged into the home server.  It must have come up after I rebootted the system if I had a monitor attached (which I don't).  I'm going to upgrade to Winodws home server full version (I was going to anyways) to see if it fixed the problem. 
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your server hardware? It sounds as though your network is 'choking' when streaming, or is it possible your server is overheating when under load.

The first thing to do, is install the Toolkit, (not forgetting the associated manual,) this has a component to install on your client and will check your network etc., there is also a component to install on the server, so you can read the logs etc on there.

Colin

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I've installed the toolkit.  It has a lot of information in it.  What should I be looking for?
    Monday, May 19, 2008 1:50 AM
  • I think I know what is going on here.  I originally got an evaluation copy of Windows Home Server about 5 months ago.  It was an evaluation copy that was only suppose to last for 4 months.  After about 75 days I had forgetten when I had installed it so I checked the expiration date.  It said it was going to expire in 105 days.  So I figured I had 105 days.  Although even though it said it would expire in 105 days it really meant it was going to drop to a limited version in 45 days. 

That 45 days came and my computer started to shut down after about an hour.  I didn't realize it was occuring on a regular basis but it probably was shutting down in regular intervals.  Unfortunately because windows home server never gave me any messages I believed it to be a corrupt OS or a damaged computer.  So I pursued the computer route.

After a little over a month of not finding anything I decided to post this question on the board.  I got a reply to install the toolkit.  I looked at the logs and after a reboot it had a message stating:

"applicaton popup"

Application popup: Windows - Windows Evaluation Notification : The evaluation period for this installation of Windows has expired. This system will shutdown in 1 hour. To restore access to this installation of Windows, please upgrade this installation using a licensed distribution of this product.

This is not a message that would every pop-up for me when I logged into the home server.  It must have come up after I rebootted the system if I had a monitor attached (which I don't).  I'm going to upgrade to Winodws home server full version (I was going to anyways) to see if it fixed the problem. 
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:03 AM