Debuggin plugin, no symbols loaded RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to debug a plug in did the following steps decriped in the sdk:

1. Deploy the plug-in assembly.

Copy the assembly to the standard plug-in folder on the server: <crm-root>\Server\bin\assembly. If there is another copy of the assembly at the same location and you cannot overwrite that copy because it is locked by Microsoft Dynamics CRM, run the iisreset program in a command window to free the assembly.

2. Register the plug-in on the desired stage of the event execution pipeline. Register the plug-in assembly on the server using on-disk deployment.

Tip It is possible to debug a database deployed plug-in. The compiled plug-in assembly's .pdb file must be copied to the server's <crm-root>\Server\bin\assembly folder and IIS must then be restarted. After debugging has been completed, you must remove the .pdb file and reset IIS to prevent the w3wp.exe process from consuming additional memory.

Generally, you do not want to register your plug-in in the event execution pipeline until the plug-in assembly is available on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. If someone else is using Microsoft Dynamics CRM on the server, and you have registered the plug-in in but have not yet deployed the assembly, the person running Microsoft Dynamics CRM receives an error if the system tries to execute the missing plug-in.

3. Configure the debugger.

Set a breakpoint in your plug-in code. For an online plug-in, attach the debugger to the w3wp.exe process on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. For an offline plug-in, attach the debugger to the Microsoft.Crm.Application.Hoster.exe process. For asynchronous registered plug-ins (or workflow assemblies) attach to the CrmAsyncService.exe process. If there are multiple processes running for the same executable you may not know which process to attach to. You can do an IIS reset to terminate those processes. Next, open or refresh the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Web application to start the process again.

When i attack VS i get the follow message at my breakpoint "this breakpoint will not be hit, no symbols have been loaded for this document". What is going wrong the .pdb is in the \Server\bin\assembly folder

When i look at the modules window i dont see my plugin assembly. I am sure that its triggered because it shows the exception that i throw

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi.

Witch deployment are you using OnDisk ot DataBase?

Make sure that the build configuration is set on debug and not release.

How many instances of w3wp do you see? did you attach to all?

Cheers,

Adi

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:39 AM
  • i am using on disk, i now can see the assembly after i triggered it ones, when i want to load the symbols it says "the symbol file does not match the module"

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:07 AM
  • HI.

This is not a crm related problem but a build issue.

here follow this link for more information: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=800252&SiteID=1

Cheers,

Adi

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:11 AM