hard drive confusion RRS feed

• Question

• My Home server has 3 hard drives.
    1.  160gb internal system disk
    2.  500gb internal disk
    3.  500gb external usb disk.

The home server console shows that the two internal disks are part of the storage pool.  The usb drive shows as not added to the storage pool.

Here is my problem.  All the active data in Music, Photos, Public, etc is on the external USB drive that has never been added to the storage pool.  How did that happen?  I have been planning to add it to the storage pool, but have not been in a hurry since I still have lots of space left per the console. 

If I now add the USB drive to the pool, I believe that it will format the drive and reallocate storage and therefore I will have all my shared data lost.  How can I get all the data moved to the internal drive and then add the external drive to the mix?

I have wondered if this may have arisen since the external drive was used when I was part of the HS beta test.  After the beta, I bought myself a legal copy and made another computer my permanent Home Server with a 160GB system disk and a brand new 500gb internal drive.  I did not have the external USB drive attached for several months.  Anyway the problem is getting all the drives in the storage pool without losing any shared data.

I do not use folder duplication now, but might once I get both 500gb hard drives in the pool.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:44 PM

Answers

• Oops.  I may have solved my own problem here.  The drive labels were apparently reversed.  I used the safely remove feature to stop the usb drive and all the data is still present.  Now I'm trying to figure out how the internal drive got a drive letter of V and the usb drive letter was drive D.  I think I will attached the usb drive to another computer and relabel it and delete all data on it so that it is completely clean.  Since I only have about 90GB of shared data I will either add folder duplication to the shared data folders or use a nightly copy and use the external drive as backup.  Thanks for making me think about what I was seeing and then backing everything up so that I could try the remove option. Now to learn more about folder duplication per home server terminology.  Sounds like the original mirrored drive concept of W2003 server, but not sure whether I have to use the home server duplication or just mirror them in disk manager.
    • Marked as answer by casadiego Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:22 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:22 PM

All replies

• Copy the files to the server shares by connecting the drive to another computer on your network. Afterward, I would install the drive in the server, rather than using it as is. This is becuase some users have had very poor results (file conflict errors, missing drives in the console, even data loss) with some USB drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:46 PM
  • The server shares all show the data on the external drive and I don't see any other shares that are on the server.  I'm clicking on the folder that the connector puts on the desktop and not looking at any mapped drives.  I'm concerned that if I disconnect the drive that the server will not like this since the shared folders icon on ALL my workstation desktops point to the data on the external usb drive.  I have all the data backed up to a portable 2.5" hard drive so I guess I could disconnect it and then recreate the shares.  I thought I was using the built in shares that are created when HS is installed which in my mind should have been on the internal 500gb hard drive as the external drive was not connected at that time.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Something sounds wrong. Was the external drive ever part of the storage pool for your home server? Or another home server? Did you perhaps swap drives into the external enclosure?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:49 PM
  • The external drive was used during the home server beta, but was not connected to the production home server for several weeks after I built the production system.  I did not want to lose all the backups if I needed to go back while I was in transition.  After the production system was stable for a couple of weeks, I moved the external drive from the beta machine to the production machine, but never added it to the storage pool.  The original beta machine was formatted and went back to being an XP workstation without the external drive being attached.  The external drive is a WD My Book and not a home built usb drive.

My confusion is how can the shared data can be hosted on a drive that is not part of the storage pool.  I know that the external drive has the current data, because I can see for the last file I downloaded stored there and becasue of the dates on my email files which are kept on the server.

The question is how to best correct this situation short of reinstalling the home server and losing all the backups from my other computers.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Oops.  I may have solved my own problem here.  The drive labels were apparently reversed.  I used the safely remove feature to stop the usb drive and all the data is still present.  Now I'm trying to figure out how the internal drive got a drive letter of V and the usb drive letter was drive D.  I think I will attached the usb drive to another computer and relabel it and delete all data on it so that it is completely clean.  Since I only have about 90GB of shared data I will either add folder duplication to the shared data folders or use a nightly copy and use the external drive as backup.  Thanks for making me think about what I was seeing and then backing everything up so that I could try the remove option. Now to learn more about folder duplication per home server terminology.  Sounds like the original mirrored drive concept of W2003 server, but not sure whether I have to use the home server duplication or just mirror them in disk manager.
    • Marked as answer by casadiego Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:22 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:22 PM