Does WHS support 4 dual core processors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have searched the internet and Microsoft to find out the maximum processor support WHS can handle and all I can find is the minimum requirements.

I have purchased WHS OEM software. My question is does WHS support quad processors - meaning 4 independent processors. I have a Quad socket 940 tyan motherboard with (4) 285 AMD Opterons with a total of 16Gb of memory. 

Does WHS support more than two (2) processors?

What is the maximum memory support?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:21 PM

Answers

• I have searched the internet and microsoft to find the maximum processors WHS supports and I can only find the minimum requirements.

I have a tyan quad socket 940 with four AMD Opteron 285 dual core processors. I also have 16GB of memory and would like to install WHS on this Server.

1. Does anyone know the maximum number of processors WHS can handle?
    2. Does anyone know the maximum memory suppport WHS can handle?
    3. Does WHS support Quad Core processors & if it does what is the maximum number of processors it could handle?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

• I have searched the internet and microsoft to find the maximum processors WHS supports and I can only find the minimum requirements.

I have a tyan quad socket 940 with four AMD Opteron 285 dual core processors. I also have 16GB of memory and would like to install WHS on this Server.

1. Does anyone know the maximum number of processors WHS can handle?
    2. Does anyone know the maximum memory suppport WHS can handle?
    3. Does WHS support Quad Core processors & if it does what is the maximum number of processors it could handle?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Windows Home Server is based on a variant of Small Business Server. As stated in this knowledgebase article, SBS supports two physical dies, with up to 4 cores per die. So Windows Home Server will support two of your four physical processors.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I had to call WHS tech support. WHS can handle 2 physical processors (dual core or quad core) and a maximum or 4 GB of memory.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:32 PM