DNS question RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new WHS purchaser, but 15 yr networking vet, so I'm a bit confused.
    WHS is offering me 3 choices for remote access DNS setup, but none of them are what I'm looking for.
    I have my own domain, I manage my own DNS entries, and I've no interest in using WindowsLive or creating a dDNS  with HP or TZO.

Is there no way to configure WHS to use my own domain?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

WHS is offering me 3 choices for remote access DNS setup, but none of them are what I'm looking for.
    I have my own domain, I manage my own DNS entries, and I've no interest in using WindowsLive or creating a dDNS  with HP or TZO.

To directly answer your question, there is no supported way of configuring WHS to use your own domain name.  The product is designed for users with little/no computer knowledge and therefore wouldn't have any idea as to how to set up their own website.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:43 PM
  • There is, as kariya21 has said, no supported way to use your own domain. However, there are options if you're familiar with IIS and networking concepts. These alternatives are unsupported, and offer the possibility of causing issues with your server if you make a mistake (possibly requiring a server recovery to correct), so you try any of this at your own risk.

In general, there are two areas that you would need to be concerned about. One is the web server URL. There's no way to configure Windows Home Server to use your own domain rather than one of the preconfigured options, but there's also no need to. You can simply point your domain to your external IP address, and just use one of the preconfigured options to set up remote access. Once set up, the web application itself doesn't care what URL you use.

That takes care of the URL, but the entire remote access web site is protected with SSL. The certifcate you will have by default will be specific to the vanity URL you chose from among the preconfigured options. You can, however, purchase and install your own. (This is where the part about causing problems comes in; do it wrong and you may need to use the server recovery disk.) There's a "how to" article here . I have not done this, however I'm familiar with the concepts and the steps that article takes you through appear to be correct.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:24 AM

All replies

• I assume you do not have a static IP address at home? There are some services that allow you to have a regular domain name that you have registered, and use their dynamic dns service to update it when your IP changes. If you have a dynamic IP at home, I believe you will have to use some sort of dynamic dns service, but here is one that allows you to use your own domain name. I have not used it, and there are probably others out there. http://www.everydns.com/

This is the article where I found it.

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/domainathome.html
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:14 AM

To directly answer your question, there is no supported way of configuring WHS to use your own domain name.  The product is designed for users with little/no computer knowledge and therefore wouldn't have any idea as to how to set up their own website.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:43 PM
  • There is, as kariya21 has said, no supported way to use your own domain. However, there are options if you're familiar with IIS and networking concepts. These alternatives are unsupported, and offer the possibility of causing issues with your server if you make a mistake (possibly requiring a server recovery to correct), so you try any of this at your own risk.

In general, there are two areas that you would need to be concerned about. One is the web server URL. There's no way to configure Windows Home Server to use your own domain rather than one of the preconfigured options, but there's also no need to. You can simply point your domain to your external IP address, and just use one of the preconfigured options to set up remote access. Once set up, the web application itself doesn't care what URL you use.

That takes care of the URL, but the entire remote access web site is protected with SSL. The certifcate you will have by default will be specific to the vanity URL you chose from among the preconfigured options. You can, however, purchase and install your own. (This is where the part about causing problems comes in; do it wrong and you may need to use the server recovery disk.) There's a "how to" article here . I have not done this, however I'm familiar with the concepts and the steps that article takes you through appear to be correct.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:24 AM