Dell Computer with XP Home Edition was Stolen. I still have XP's CD and License Code. Can I install the OS on another PC? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I purchased a Dell 8200 computer in 2003.

That computer was stolen from my house in October 2004, however I still have the ORIGINAL XP home edition installation CD and the 25 digit license code.

Now it is 2008 and I recently built a home use computer that needs an OS.

Question:     Can I install and use Windows XP Home Edition OS with my license code?

Thanks,

Jer B

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

•  Michael_Li299 wrote:

Mine was also stolen 3 days ago.  What about MS Office?  Can I reload that on the replacement?

Thanks

Only if you have a "Retail Version" of Microsoft Office and not a "OEM" Microsoft Office CD.

However, you'll first have to contact Microsoft directly and explain your Microsoft Office license was stolen and you need to obtain a new product key.

What to do if you must have a new product key for a Microsoft Office product:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823570/en-us

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:07 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Only if you have a "Retail Version" of Windows XP and not a Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation CD.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Mine was also stolen 3 days ago.  What about MS Office?  Can I reload that on the replacement?

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2008 11:22 AM
  •  Michael_Li299 wrote:

Mine was also stolen 3 days ago.  What about MS Office?  Can I reload that on the replacement?

Thanks

Only if you have a "Retail Version" of Microsoft Office and not a "OEM" Microsoft Office CD.

However, you'll first have to contact Microsoft directly and explain your Microsoft Office license was stolen and you need to obtain a new product key.

What to do if you must have a new product key for a Microsoft Office product:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823570/en-us

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:07 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:57 PM
  • My XP was stole about two years ago.  I really would like to update my code.  I don't have the CD any more.  That was stole with a bunch of my other software from my house.  My cousin had an older version of XP that she is no longer using since she bought a new computer with Vista on it.  How can I update my version of XP with this older version?  Thanks, Phae
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:43 PM