none
2 questions on upgrading MCSA & MCDST RRS feed

• Question

• I found out that my night school is doing a special discount for anyone who can take and pass a 72-series exam by June 30. This is in addition to the free exam from Dreamspark.

I looked, and of the ones I'm interested in, only the 72-648 is listed. Am I correct in assuming that 72-648  is essentially the same as 70-648 and that the "MCTS Exams 70-648/649: Transitioning your MCSA/MCSE to Windows server 2008: Self Paced Training Kit" book will prepare me for it?

Also, the book mentinos needing Vista Business for the practices. Will substituting Windows 7 professional work without too much head scratching or should I download the Vista Business demo? I've never used any version of Vista other than the Home versions, and I'm still learning the differences between XP Pro and Win7.

I've got the following OSes available:Windows 7 64-bit Professional (upgrade version, can't use directly on a virtual machine), Vista Home Premium (both 32 and 64), Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98SE.

I've also got Windows 95 and  MS-DOS 3.30. I used to have MS-DOS 6.22, but the machine I installed it on has a bad hard drive and the critical install disk is bad. Not that I expect to use them for this UPGRADE test.

I also have copies of Server 2003 and 2008 from Dreamspark. I also haven't used 2000, 95, or MS-DOS in years, so I haven't verified the state of the install media.

Oh, finally, any chance of a 72-682 discount in the near future? I saw the Vista equivalent exam there, but not the win7 one.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:23 PM

Answers

• The "72" prefix exams are specifically meant for students and, yes, they are identical to their "70" series counterparts to the best of my knowledge. The only difference is the pricing and requirements to get a voucher (must be a student, yadda yadda).

That said, are you already an Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator/Engineer? If not, 72-648 won't do anything for you unfortunately.

The book you are referring to is a bit outdated now, but still relevant. Windows 7 is fine. 72-648 actually doesn't cover anything very deep on client OS I don't believe ... only Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, Applications Infrastructure, etc.

Throw out all your Windows 95/DOS/2000 stuff. You couldn't take a test on that stuff if you wanted too, they are all retired :)

I doubt you will see a 72-682 exam ever ... MCITP: Enterprise Support is for Vista, which has been superceeded by Windows 7. The 72 series is too new to include that test.

Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Hite Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Friday, June 10, 2011 12:23 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• The "72" prefix exams are specifically meant for students and, yes, they are identical to their "70" series counterparts to the best of my knowledge. The only difference is the pricing and requirements to get a voucher (must be a student, yadda yadda).

That said, are you already an Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator/Engineer? If not, 72-648 won't do anything for you unfortunately.

The book you are referring to is a bit outdated now, but still relevant. Windows 7 is fine. 72-648 actually doesn't cover anything very deep on client OS I don't believe ... only Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, Applications Infrastructure, etc.

Throw out all your Windows 95/DOS/2000 stuff. You couldn't take a test on that stuff if you wanted too, they are all retired :)

I doubt you will see a 72-682 exam ever ... MCITP: Enterprise Support is for Vista, which has been superceeded by Windows 7. The 72 series is too new to include that test.

Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Hite Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Friday, June 10, 2011 12:23 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Thank you for the help.

I do have MCSA, but not MCSE. I've considered getting MCSE, since I have a "labsim testout" package from my night school for 70-293, which is stuff I already know, and was planning on taking the Security+, but decided to persue 70-648 first due to the opportunity to get a great discount from the school if I can get through it by the end of the month. The offer is too good to pass up.

I posted my exams in another thread asking for advice on advancement last week. I'm MCSA & MCDST. I won't retype everything. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/41549e88-9f9e-4946-a607-b56ac3033184

As for tossing things, the 2000 and Win95 CDs have been unused for years. I had Windows 95 installed on a virtual machine on my old powermac, but I replaced that virtual machine with a real Windows 98SE machine in 1999 because the virtual machine just wasn't cutting it. Connectrix Virtual PC 3.0 was too slow, and crashed too often (though I later learned that was Win95 and the program's fault, and there was a patch for win95, I've learned so much since then) I believe it is still installed and set up, but I've only used it once in the last 5 years, and that was to test the problem I had with Win98SE connecting to Vista 64-bit home premium. For the record, win95 crashed just like Win98 no matter what I did. I was forced to use the win98SE machine as my file server instead of the newer machine. Not that it really mattered, since I had to use it as a print server anyways.

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:11 AM