which MOBO's are best? Server of desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I have been reading all the threads in the hardware section, regarding motherboard selection. And I have to say I am even more confused now as to what to look for in one. I know most of these threads are opion based and are just suggestions. But from what I have reading it seems that server 2003 based motherboards are preferred. For thier ease of use during installation.

But I thought the whole concept of windows home server was to use what hardware you have already and it will work "fine" with most.

I am looking to use a desktop motherboard maybe a:GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard . But am open to any other suggestions. My only real requirment is to have minimum 8 sata connections, due to I am hooked on media center and want to convert my DVD collection to digital and stream from my WHS to my HTPC runnin Vista home prem . I have done alot of reading up on it, but it seems the more I read these forums the more it gets complicated.

Thanks for your help and/or opinions.

JC

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:11 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is based on a version of Windows Server 2003. Hardware on the Windows Server Catalog has, in theory gone through much more extensive testing with Windows Server 2003 and/opr 2008. Drivers will be stable and deliver decent performance. Windows Home Server as "enthusiast playground" can be installed on almost any hardware that will run Windows XP, but if you have flaky drivers, you will find it frustrating. In your case, your desktop motherboard will probably be fine.

Regarding media on WHS, the recommended solution today is a two box solution. Your Media Center PC will stream your media, and it will use Windows Home Server as additional storage. The Green Button contains a wealth of knowledge about how to configure and use Media Center in almost any environment; you should check there for the registry changes which will allow Media Center to treat network shares as part of it's storage (including showing cover art in VIDEO_TS folders, etc).
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:42 AM

All replies

• Usually each mainboard works, which will accept Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP drivers.

But I thought the whole concept of windows home server was to use what hardware you have already and it will work "fine" with most.

the original concept of WHS is to sell dedicated hardware with WHS preinstalled by an OEM. Home built systems originally had no place in the concept. (Otherwise you would find the product also as retail software in a nice box.)

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:41 AM
  • Windows Home Server is based on a version of Windows Server 2003. Hardware on the Windows Server Catalog has, in theory gone through much more extensive testing with Windows Server 2003 and/opr 2008. Drivers will be stable and deliver decent performance. Windows Home Server as "enthusiast playground" can be installed on almost any hardware that will run Windows XP, but if you have flaky drivers, you will find it frustrating. In your case, your desktop motherboard will probably be fine.

Regarding media on WHS, the recommended solution today is a two box solution. Your Media Center PC will stream your media, and it will use Windows Home Server as additional storage. The Green Button contains a wealth of knowledge about how to configure and use Media Center in almost any environment; you should check there for the registry changes which will allow Media Center to treat network shares as part of it's storage (including showing cover art in VIDEO_TS folders, etc).
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:42 AM