3TB hard drive working for me RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible that the 2TB hard drive limitation for single drive letter has disappeared ?

I ask because I had no problem adding a 3TB hard drive, I see it as one single drive and it shows me 2794GB, also I can set it as backup drive, it still shows me 2794GB... It seems it is a great news !

My hardware is Tranquilpc SQA-5H.

Shall I expect any issue if I use this drive as server backup drive ?

Regards,

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Shall I expect any issue if I use this drive as server backup drive ?

Yes. Server Backup through the dashboard has a hard limit of 2 TB of data in a single backup set. You can log in to the server desktop and set up multiple backups for protection, of course, though that will be unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.

So in my case the best would be to wait for a pooling add-in to be stable, in the meantime I could:

- Use the 3TB hard drive for server storage with shared drive on it

- Create server backup with 2 drives (2TB and 1TB) by login to the desktop, putting some shared folders on one drive and some on the other drive

For my information is there a guide that explains how to set up multiple backups ? (using scheduled robocopy or something else, I don't care, important is to have my 3TB of photos/music/computer backups backed up.

Regards,

Benoit

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hello,

Is it possible that the 2TB hard drive limitation for single drive letter has disappeared ?

I ask because I had no problem adding a 3TB hard drive, I see it as one single drive and it shows me 2794GB, also I can set it as backup drive, it still shows me 2794GB... It seems it is a great news !

My hardware is Tranquilpc SQA-5H.

Shall I expect any issue if I use this drive as server backup drive ?

Regards,

How did you do that?

WHS 2011 took my two newly added 3TB drives and split them into two partitions of approximately 0.7 TB and 2.0 TB on each drive; thus 4 partitions and 4 drive letters (yuck) between the two drives.

The OS is already installed on a separate drive.

No options were offered, and I did not overtly designate these drives for "Server Backup" (known 2TB limitation).

Thanks.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

My 3TB WD drive was formerly used on a W7 x64 computer, maybe that is the origin.

Regards,

Benoit

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:43 AM
  • So the drive was previously formatted under Win 7 64 as a single "3TB" partition, and WHS 2011 simply accepted that, without seeking to enforce its own partition scheme.

If so that is a very interesting, (and little known??) workaround.

I would like to have a single drive letter for each physical drive. 

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:31 PM
  • I would like to have a single drive letter for each physical drive. 

Not as much as you think you would. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to configure anything on a drive larger than 2 TB for backup.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:19 PM
  • I was able to however perhaps my situation is unique.  Have 4 3TB drives and raided them together.  So Windows Home Server broke it up big time. Once the install was done I just went into the Windows drive manager and deleted all the extra partitions and then merged them all together into one big drive.  Kind of my "D" drive and then repointed all the file shares to that drive.  Everything working good.

JR

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:44 PM

Not as much as you think you would. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to configure anything on a drive larger than 2 TB for backup.

Thanks for your reply.

Given your advanced understanding of WHS 2011, Is this a PERMANENT limitation of the OS?

IF so, I'm finding it hard to understand the advantage of using drives above 2 TB if WHS is going to force the confusion of multiple partitions on a single physical drive.

I suppose I am missing something here, or there is a flaw in my logic (LOL)??

Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:55 PM
  • The advantage to using a larger drive is as follows: you can use a very large RAID array (which will be exactly as "supported" as other hardware is, i.e. go to your hardware vendor for problems with your hardware, don't look to Microsoft). When you add an uninitialized disk (i.e. a volume on the array) to your server and tell the server to use it for storage, it will automatically be partitioned into 2 TB logical drives.

The 2 TB limitation is a function of the server backup technology in the underlying OS (Windows Server 2008 R2), and is unlikely to change, in my opinion. Microsoft knows that users would like to be able to back up more data, but the number who find this limitation painful is unfortunately not likely to be large enough for them to invest the man-hours required to change the tools. After all, in the enterprise, the built-in backup is probably never used, so all you have left is the extremely small businesses that truly can't afford a third party solution, and home users. 

Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:03 PM

An option for you not wanting to have multiple drive letters might be to use a "Mount Point"

Quick and Dirty How-To:
    When you install your OS leave 1GB free at the end of the OS disk.
    Create a 1GB NTFS partition (D:) and label it "Mount Points" (or whatever you want to call it)
    Then create two folders: Backup01 & Backup02 on the 1GB D: drive
    Then create two partitions. (2TB & 0.7TB),(1.35TB & 1.35TB) or whatever you like on your 3TB disk.
    You can then mount these two partitions into D:\Backup01 & D:\Backup02 by using the "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:" during the creation of the partitions.

That will give you one drive letter to hold all your backups on.
    Yet they are separate volumes.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
    Cody H.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:43 PM