OCS and Mediation on one box. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone.

We are planning our first OCS environment but are limited on hardware.... we only have about 20 users which will be using ocs, so my quesiton is, will it be fine to install OCS and the mediation role on the same box?

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In short - no.

There are several issues here...

1) The install software won't let you do this

2) Voice needs real-time processing will not tolerant delays (and neither will your users) - delays which maybe caused by installing both on the same box & the 2 software packages 'clashing'

3) MS don't approve or support it - so if you really do have a problem - you're on your own

So - if you've got a very powerful server with huge processing resources & RAM - and you've willing to accept the risk - and you've willing to work out how to install it without using the install software - then go for it.  And MS does not support virtualisation for OCS.

Given all of the above - and the fact that this is voice services (so they need to be reliable) - I would just buy a second server & be done with it.  Make sure it has a second network card in it - Mediation needs two cards to work correctly, (yes - it will function on one, but the issues it causes outweighs the $50 or so it costs for a second card).

However - IF this is just a demo environment - then install it on what you like.  I've got OCS on a 2Ghz P4 with 512MB ram, OCS Mediation on a 700Hz Xeon with 1.5 GB RAM.  Yes - the servers are as slow as hell - but OCS & all the functions work just fine for the 3 people I've got testing voice & video.

Hope this helps...

Paul

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In short - no.

There are several issues here...

1) The install software won't let you do this

2) Voice needs real-time processing will not tolerant delays (and neither will your users) - delays which maybe caused by installing both on the same box & the 2 software packages 'clashing'

3) MS don't approve or support it - so if you really do have a problem - you're on your own

So - if you've got a very powerful server with huge processing resources & RAM - and you've willing to accept the risk - and you've willing to work out how to install it without using the install software - then go for it.  And MS does not support virtualisation for OCS.

Given all of the above - and the fact that this is voice services (so they need to be reliable) - I would just buy a second server & be done with it.  Make sure it has a second network card in it - Mediation needs two cards to work correctly, (yes - it will function on one, but the issues it causes outweighs the $50 or so it costs for a second card).

However - IF this is just a demo environment - then install it on what you like.  I've got OCS on a 2Ghz P4 with 512MB ram, OCS Mediation on a 700Hz Xeon with 1.5 GB RAM.  Yes - the servers are as slow as hell - but OCS & all the functions work just fine for the 3 people I've got testing voice & video.

Hope this helps...

Paul

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks... that answers my question perfectly.

Rudi

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:16 PM