What does M'Soft plan to do to BEFORE ANY SALE at a retailer to ensure that Windows is Genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a copy of WinXP Pro from a retailer (A&B Sound)  that specialized in Electronics. This firm had been in business in our Province for 50+ years.  Now, 7years later, Windows Update disallowed updates, because they said that my copy MAY be counterfeit. MAY translated into, "too damn bad,sucker," because they claimed that it was an Institutional Version, not meant to be sold. 
        Microsoft said that I was out of luck, contact the retailer. A & B Sound ceased to exist 3 years ago & a Trustee told me that I was sol too. So did VISA 
       I am blind, live on very little & now, have a nearly useless piece of electro-garbage, where a very operable tool for communications,shopping, even "reading" a current newspaper, usd to stand. All thanks to these greedy, untrusting ccorporate sleaze-bags.
       As for supplying details of my system; look above,...WINDOWS XP PRO.....Period!! There are no other reasons, I have been ripped off, plain & simple.  
      If a Mac didn't cost  4x the price of a PC and if their O/S ran without any need to translate or interact with Windoze, M'Soft would be parked right beside Enron, where they belong.
     As a side note; how come M'Soft can flood our computors with malware & spyware without prosecution? Whereas others, SONY for one, are reviled, prosecuted, fined and must allow complete scrutiny of their materials for a long time to come. 
    Do not construe this as a plea for charity. It is to warn others, as trying to shame M'Soft will get your IP address lackballed, with viruses, Trojans, Worms etc.,funnelled your way ad nauseum.
     If our Governments weren't such pussies & did not fear a Security Nightmare for standing up to Microsoft, perhaps we consumers would have some leverage & get some respect. 

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:03 PM

Answers

• Thanks Dan,
       I really appreciate your direction.  Will print & act on it, when a human can read it with me & it's easier to correct.
       I must apologize to all, ( "motherboardlove," especially) for I didn't know that I was in the wrong place.
       If the text-to-speech software misses a character & I don't catch it, I wind up, "looking for a Pool table in a Pool & Spa store." But, I will lead you around safely, if the power goes out
       Thanks again, Dan.....
    • Marked as answer by oldradiojock Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:38 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:33 AM

All replies

• I purchased a copy of WinXP Pro from a retailer (A&B Sound)  that specialized in Electronics. This firm had been in business in our Province for 50+ years.  Now, 7years later, Windows Update disallowed updates, because they said that my copy MAY be counterfeit. MAY translated into, "too damn bad,sucker," because they claimed that it was an Institutional Version, not meant to be sold. 
        Microsoft said that I was out of luck, contact the retailer. A & B Sound ceased to exist 3 years ago & a Trustee told me that I was sol too. So did VISA 
       I am blind, live on very little & now, have a nearly useless piece of electro-garbage, where a very operable tool for communications,shopping, even "reading" a current newspaper, usd to stand. All thanks to these greedy, untrusting ccorporate sleaze-bags.
       As for supplying details of my system; look above,...WINDOWS XP PRO.....Period!! There are no other reasons, I have been ripped off, plain & simple.  
      If a Mac didn't cost  4x the price of a PC and if their O/S ran without any need to translate or interact with Windoze, M'Soft would be parked right beside Enron, where they belong.
     As a side note; how come M'Soft can flood our computors with malware & spyware without prosecution? Whereas others, SONY for one, are reviled, prosecuted, fined and must allow complete scrutiny of their materials for a long time to come. 
    Do not construe this as a plea for charity. It is to warn others, as trying to shame M'Soft will get your IP address lackballed, with viruses, Trojans, Worms etc.,funnelled your way ad nauseum.
     If our Governments weren't such pussies & did not fear a Security Nightmare for standing up to Microsoft, perhaps we consumers would have some leverage & get some respect. 

All of these viruses you mention do not come from Microsoft, but are instead because you are using counterfeit software - The majority of conterfeit software come with spyware, viruses, worms, trojans, and other things. Microsoft recommends you buy your software from a reputable retailer, and keep your computers up-to-date. You can buy a kit from Microsoft to get rid of these viruses and get a genuine copy of Windows XP.
    • Marked as answer by oldradiojock Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by oldradiojock Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:58 PM

All of these viruses you mention do not come from Microsoft, but are instead because you are using counterfeit software - The majority of conterfeit software come with spyware, viruses, worms, trojans, and other things. Microsoft recommends you buy your software from a reputable retailer, and keep your computers up-to-date. You can buy a kit from Microsoft to get rid of these viruses and get a genuine copy of Windows XP.
        Pardon Me? My last comment was a parting shot at Big Business..Did you not read the rest? I BOUGHT GENUINE SOFTWARE FROM A MICROSOFT AUTHORIZED DEALER. I have already given them $695+ with txes when I purchased 7 or 8 years ago. You need to be taught some manners.
    ps. I wrote this slow ust for you, so your lips could keep up. 
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Hello oldradiojock,

If you would like some assistance,  please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Next look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Or, if you simply want to rant, please do so in the Feedback and Comments section of the forum here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Dan,
       I really appreciate your direction.  Will print & act on it, when a human can read it with me & it's easier to correct.
       I must apologize to all, ( "motherboardlove," especially) for I didn't know that I was in the wrong place.
       If the text-to-speech software misses a character & I don't catch it, I wind up, "looking for a Pool table in a Pool & Spa store." But, I will lead you around safely, if the power goes out
       Thanks again, Dan.....
    • Marked as answer by oldradiojock Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:38 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:33 AM