Tune-up Not Clearing Out Temp Files RRS feed

• Question

• Tune-up is not deleting some temp files.

Since OC was NOT emptying the Recycle Bin (as -- according to the Help files -- it should have been doing!), I went into C: to configure Disk Cleanup, selecting all the options from the list.  Run Tune-up again, and I notice that there are still files in:

Docs & Settings > Admin > Local > Temp

C: > Windows > Temp

Why is OC's Tune-up not taking care of this?

Thanks.

I'm running XP SP3.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Some temporary files won't be removed if they are in use. If there are many files that are not in use, then I can't say why they aren't being removed. Personally I don't use Disk Cleanup, preferring to perform those tasks myself manually. So, my recommendation is to contact support to have this investigated.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Actually, the dafault action for the Temporary Files selection of Disk Manager is to delete all files not accessed in the last 7 days, resulting in some files remaining after the cleanup is performed.

There is a registry setting that allows this default to be changed to other values, including 0 to delete all files (except those being held open of course).

Alter the LastAccess value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility

Another example specifically for Vista, though the registry key involved is the same.

How to Set Disk Cleanup to Delete Vista Temporary Files Less than a Week Old

OneCareBear

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Ah . . .

I have Tune-up set up to run weekly.  So, I presume that if I just let it do its work, then any Temp files not used within a week will be cleaned out.  But, if I run it sometime during the week (less than 7 days), it will ignore those Temp files.

Thanks for the info.

I decided not to change the Registry only because I've had a history of poking around in my computer files . . . which usually ended badly!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:44 AM
  • That's good information, OneCareBear, thanks! The question has come up before, but I don't recall the specific 7 day aging information having been cited before.

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:37 PM