new backup error -- can't get around RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've successfully backed up to my external HDD several times, but One Care apparently doesn't want to do that any more, giving me this message:  "Backup cannot continue because the backup location is no longer available.  Make sure the device is connected and you have read/write permissions for the backup folders on the device."

I've followed the OneCare help advice on setting sharing, etc -- but to no avail. 

Any recommendations?

What might cause this normal backup to stop working?  (I have 10X the capacity on the HDD that I need for this backup)

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:24 AM

Answers

• If nothing has changed, then I can only suggest a reset of the backup plan - 

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

- which basically means starting over. The old backups will still be available for a restore, but they won't be added to.

Since you say that you can see the files in the backup folder, I wonder if the permissions have been messed with. When the backup is first created, the folder is protected by OneCare by altering the permissions. I wonder if these have been messed up in such a way that OneCare can't write to that folder any longer, hence the reason for the error. On the other hand, you did change the permissions by setting the sharing properties for the drive or folders, granting you the ability to see within.

Another option, though perhaps more painful, would be to either reset the OneCare database - which would require you to have to reconfigure any schedules or exceptions you had set up - or reinstall OneCare.
    Database reset -  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

And, there is always support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• If the external drive was assigned a new drive letter by Windows due to another device being plugged in, this can happen. Go to your backup configuration and note the drive letter for the backup location defined. Verify that this is the drive letter in Windows Explorer.

Can you access the drive using Windows Explorer?

Is the drive letter the same as it was in OneCare's backup configuration?

Is this single PC backup or are you using Centralized Backup - the plan for all PCs, as recommended in OneCare's backup configuration?

Has anything else changed on the PC from the last time backup worked to this drive until the time it began to fail?

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for help (!)

I can access the backup drive using windows explorer -- & I can look at backed up pics, etc -- no problem, though OneCare backup stores the files in a very unable non-tree like structure.

the drive letter is the same in Explorer & as set up in OneCare's backup config.

right now this drive is not used as centralized backup -- its connected to our main home PC -- we had a home network established when we were tranferring old PC content to this new PC but no longer use this home network -- and this setup hasn't changed since our successful backups using OneCare to this backup device

I can't off hand think of any other config that has changed, which might be causing the backup to not work --- hmm...
    Friday, December 12, 2008 6:17 AM
  • If nothing has changed, then I can only suggest a reset of the backup plan - 

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

- which basically means starting over. The old backups will still be available for a restore, but they won't be added to.

Since you say that you can see the files in the backup folder, I wonder if the permissions have been messed with. When the backup is first created, the folder is protected by OneCare by altering the permissions. I wonder if these have been messed up in such a way that OneCare can't write to that folder any longer, hence the reason for the error. On the other hand, you did change the permissions by setting the sharing properties for the drive or folders, granting you the ability to see within.

Another option, though perhaps more painful, would be to either reset the OneCare database - which would require you to have to reconfigure any schedules or exceptions you had set up - or reinstall OneCare.
    Database reset -  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

And, there is always support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:13 PM