none
How to add anothter dictionary to WLW? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear experts,

I use both English and Russian in my blog. How do I add another dictionary to spellcheck my posts to my WLW? I have English dictionaries downloaded, can I add a Russian one, and then alternate them?

thank you,

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

• If you install the Russian version of Writer, you should get both the English and Russian dictionaries, and you can switch between them under Tools | Options | Spelling.

If you prefer English-language UI, still install the Russian version, but modify the program shortcut target to something like:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriter.exe" /culture:en-us

In the future we hope to make it easier for people to install more dictionaries on whatever version they want.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Downloaded and changed target as you suggested, Russian dictionary now available.

First impressions after trying it out: Working with different dictionaries really cumbersome, they get stuck on parts of text if its language different from the default dictionary.

It's also awkward to change dictionary on the fly, wish you guys could create some kind Switch dictionary button on the menu panel. otherwise one has to go into Tools -> Options-> Spelling-> select dictionaries -> OK. 

Perhaps the (future) Writer could determine language used in different parts of a document and apply different dictionaries from its library in those segments of the text? OK, OK I know I am dreaming : )

Thank you for your help!
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Yes, we know it's cumbersome right now, sorry.

Do you do a lot of blogging where the same post contains significant amount of text from both Russian and English? Do you expect most of your readers are bilingual?

The more common situation we've heard reported is one Russian blog and one English blog (for example).
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:13 AM
  •  I am trying to add a brief summary in English to each post. Probably not too many readers are bilingual, but if an English speaking person arrives at my blog via search engine they still should be able to read the summary and proceed to the article I am referring to.

here is a sample, my recent post. As you can see there is a bit of English at the beginning, and a summary at the end. Spell checker did not like this combo at all : ) I had to publish it and then check spelling in blog.
    Internal Medicine News.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:37 AM

In the future we hope to make it easier for people to install more dictionaries on whatever version they want.
    Hope so ;-)

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:21 PM
  • I would say that most people in smaller countries are bilingual. E.g. in Denmark almost everyone speaks and read Danish and English, and a lot also writes in German and French - so when installing e.g. MS Office we always install at least 2 dictionaries.

It would be nice if Writer supported multiple languages in the same document like all the Office applications does.

Lars Bo Wassini
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Hello Joe

Do you know where I can find instructions to install Danish spell check in Live Writer?

Thanks
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:17 PM
  • This seems to be quite a common problem, that I also got myself into btw, and after some research I was able to find a working solution.

In order to avoid copy-pasting everything, please go to http://bit.ly/chIr76 and read the way I managed to add any dictionary I needed.

Best regards,

Raposo

• Proposed as answer by RaposoMVP Monday, October 31, 2011 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:21 PM
  • I'm trying this http://livewriterblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/adding-additional-dictionaries-to-live-writer/ 

Hope it'll work. Regards :)

-- José Roberto Reto Toro @: roberto.reto@live.com
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:04 PM
  • I'm trying this http://livewriterblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/adding-additional-dictionaries-to-live-writer/ 

Hope it'll work. Regards :)

I am sure it will work for you too (it worked for me some time ago).

Tipp: Configure your keyboard for input language you want so you can switch between them with just a click in the taskbar (Windows Live Mail, Writer etc. using the current input language) - see also http://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/keyboard-language.php (for example)

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.
    • Edited by hfrmobile Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:12 PM