locked
Will we be able to update 'Vail' beta with retail release? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

  • Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.
    MS has not said anything definite, but I wouldn't count on it.  MS has never supported an upgrade from beta/RC to RTM on any OS.  Plus, one of the WHS team members said they were considering forcing a fresh install (so storage pools could not roll from earlier builds to RTM).
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:41 AM
    Moderator
  • Microsoft has said elsewhere in this forum that they're contemplating forcing a "from scratch" reinstallation at some point, to get rid of any lingering data issues as they tweak Drive Extender V2. So I'd have to say probably you'll have to wipe your server at some point.

    And as others have said, using Vail in a production scenario isn't supported.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:54 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.

    +1 For me. I have already spent days for setting up the server and copying large amounts of data back and forth.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.
    MS has not said anything definite, but I wouldn't count on it.  MS has never supported an upgrade from beta/RC to RTM on any OS.  Plus, one of the WHS team members said they were considering forcing a fresh install (so storage pools could not roll from earlier builds to RTM).
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:41 AM
    Moderator
  • Do you trust your precious data to an OS that is in beta???
    Reading your text I would advice you to stick to V1 and wait for V2 to hit RTM.


    .
    .
    .
    .

    "MarkBx" wrote in message news:ed0e2d98-a2e5-4b94-9239-69024a6f4718@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

    Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.


    Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:51 AM
  • If the copy thing is already a burden to you, in your case I would strongly advice against running Vail.
    Also, this is beta and NOT intended to run in production environment.

    Another thing is that you trust your precious data to beta software????


    .
    .
    .
    .

    "epapas" wrote in message news:9d53a45f-6e3b-419e-8c1f-043f4aaeceba@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

    Will we be able to update the 'Vail' beta with a retail release, or will it require a whole new installation? I'm interested in transferring my WHS v1 to v2, but if it won't be an easy transition either way, I will wait for retail, although it would be nice to make the transition now. I'm not looking to do anything fancy for the time being, basic backups like v1 does is fine, but since I'm looking to add/replace storage, I'd rather do it with the new OS. Thanks.

    +1 For me. I have already spent days for setting up the server and copying large amounts of data back and forth.


    Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Microsoft has said elsewhere in this forum that they're contemplating forcing a "from scratch" reinstallation at some point, to get rid of any lingering data issues as they tweak Drive Extender V2. So I'd have to say probably you'll have to wipe your server at some point.

    And as others have said, using Vail in a production scenario isn't supported.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:54 AM
    Moderator
  • All good points, and more I thought about it, I probably won't want to use it at launch anyhow until it's clear any significant bugs are ironed out. That being said, I have an older shuttle box (hopefully Athlon64 X2 3200+ is sufficient) and a 250GB and 500GB hard drive sitting around I might throw in there and play with it a bit so I can just get familiar with it.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:40 PM