none
Transfering routes to Garmin GPS - not working (Streets and Trips 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• MS Streets and Trips 2013 claims (on the package) to be able to send routes to Garmin GPS devices.  This is technically true, in that you can transfer the route .gpx file to a Garmin GPS.  However, the route file is corrupted and unusable by the Garmin GPS.  This same issue has existed since the 2010 version of S&T, Microsoft is supposedly aware of it and yet with the current version of S&T the problem hasn't been fixed.

From a customer viewpoint Microsoft is guilty of false advertising when it comes to Streets and Trips.  The largest software company in the world should have fixed this bug immediately and chose not to.  Hard to understand, but then they did release Windows 8 onto an unsuspecting public also.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• When I explored using Garmin to download Streets and Trips I found only specific Garmins that could support the .gpx file. The store "experts" were lost also but I had taken a list of the compatible Garmins and found the correct one. My system is working great and download is a breeze. Its worth finding the right Garmin.

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Beginning with Streets and Trips 2011 and continuing with Streets and Trips 2013, the GPX file created by the program produces a GPX file that cannot be imported into Garmin's MapSource or Basecamp. This problem however is easily corrected.

-Open the GPX file created by Sreets and Trips with Notepad
    -Highlight and copy (ctl-c) a part of the data string that looks something like this... <time>Invalid DateTime-08:00</time> (your data between the <time> and the </time> may/will be different)
    -Select >Edit< from the Notepad menu
    -Select >Replace< from the menu options
    -With your cursor in the "Find What" field, paste (ctl-v) the string copied in the previous step
    -Leave the "Replace With" field blank
    -Press >Replace All<
    -Save this modified file with the current or new file name - the file will now open fine in MapSource and Basecamp - now, whether anyone would ever actually want to use Basecamp is another issue all together
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:37 PM
  • I do this almost every week and don't have any problems at all. It works about as well as would be expected. I have the Garmin 2595lmt. btw, I am a District Manager for a newspaper. I can't tell you how valuable this tool is for us.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:44 AM
  • What Garmin device do you have that is compatible with the MS S & T?  Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:29 PM
  • I HATE the BaseCamp!!  It is NOT user friendly at all.  I LOVE MS S & T but am so frustrated trying all these things out to actually get the route into my Garmin device!!  We are moving to TN later this year and are heading down next week to look at property and houses.  I have almost 30 addresses that we are going to be doing drive-bys on so how can I make a "modified" file with all these locations on it?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:35 PM
  • What do you do almost every week?  Make a route and "modify" it like the person says above?  Do you have multiple locations in your route?  I need to get this all figured out by next week and I have spent weeks on this already trying to get this figured out!!!!  Please can ANYONE help me on this!!!  I have the Garmin Nuvi50 LM and will clearly take it back and buy what will actually work with MS S & T!!!  Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:39 PM