XP HOME ACTIVATION RRS feed

• Question

• Due to a virus, I had to format my pc and reinstall XP HOME onto my pc.

I have a valid license key and used the XP home disc that was purchased with the license.

When I came to log on a message was displayed stating "I must activate my product" however would not activate online so I activated over the phone.

After getting my activation code, the message appeared saying that the product was activated and went back to the log on screen.

So I clicked on my name to log on and the message "This product must be activated" so clicked yes and another message appeared saying this product is already active.

It seems to be stuck in a loop.  have tried reinstalling again, going into safe mode brings the same message

I am pretty stuck here any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:10 PM

Answers

• mfox01702,

Since you just reformatted, and since the computer is not allowing you to log on, you most likely have not had a chance to reinstall any programs or restore any data.

Please try another clean installation of XP.  Here is a good tutorial:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

It is extremely rare for a genuine installation of XP to display the problems you are seeing.  Can you describe the materials you are using to install XP:  the CD, the Certificate of Authenticity, and the Product Key (but don't post the Product Key!)?  Did you purchase the materials in a nice pretty retail box, or was XP preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?  What is the make and model of computer if a name brand?

Friday, January 26, 2007 6:13 PM

All replies

• You should find wpa.dbl in the Windows\System32 directory.  Using Windows Explorer, locate this file.  Once you find it do the following:

1) Single click on wpa.dbl to highlight the file.

2) While wpa.dbl is highlighted, right-mouse click on it.

3) A dialog box will be displayed.  Click on the General tab.  Make sure that the boxes for read only and hidden are NOT checked.

4) Click on the Security tab of the same dialog box.  Make sure that all of the user accounts shown have access to this file and none of the accounts have DENY checked.

If DENY (on the security tab) or READ ONLY (on the general tab) were marked, please remove this attribute setting. The wpa.dbl file must be fully accessible by all user accounts. 

Please try this and report back what you found.  If you removed the deny and read only attributes, please reboot your PC.  Did that take care of your issue?

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:44 PM
  • This would be cool

However as I stated when on the welcome screen to actually log on to the pc.

When I click on my name to enter windows I get an message stating that I must activate windows

I get the option yes or no

If I click on Yes then the activation windows appears saying windows is already activated and an ok button

Click on ok and takes you back to the welcome screen again and the process repeats

If you click No just goes back to welcome screen and process repeats

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Boot into Safe Mode, then try to activate.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:14 PM
  • I Have already tried this and I get exactly the same problem.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:20 PM
  • i'm having the same problem, any solutions
    Friday, January 26, 2007 2:24 AM
  • mfox01702,

Since you just reformatted, and since the computer is not allowing you to log on, you most likely have not had a chance to reinstall any programs or restore any data.

Please try another clean installation of XP.  Here is a good tutorial:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

It is extremely rare for a genuine installation of XP to display the problems you are seeing.  Can you describe the materials you are using to install XP:  the CD, the Certificate of Authenticity, and the Product Key (but don't post the Product Key!)?  Did you purchase the materials in a nice pretty retail box, or was XP preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?  What is the make and model of computer if a name brand?

Friday, January 26, 2007 6:13 PM