Trying to Remove an Exertnal (RAID5) Disk from Server Storage - Keeps Asking for More Drives, Now No Progress RRS feed

• Question

• I set up the Beta (Vail) version of Windows Home Server (WHS) with an internal 750GB drive as the system disk.  I added an external ESATA RAID5 array (four 2TB drives making about 5.6TB of drive space).  This was a bit trickiy because every time I start up I have to get into the RAID controler BIOS during startup and then turn the external array on in order to get the system to "see" the RAID drive.  I then copied over my photos and movies and other files (about 1.7TB) into appropriate folders. 

Then, after reading stuff about how a hardware RAID is not such a great idea on WHS, I was convinced I should change my ESATA array from RAID5 to Just a Bunch Of Disks.  So, I added three more 750GB drives for a total over 2TB and I "asked" WHS to remove the 5.6TB RAID5 disk.  It seemed to be working fine.  It did an automatic update in the middle of transfering files from the RAID drive and did a restart. After getting the RAID array up again, progress seemed to slow down and then got "stuck" with about 160GB left to transfer off the RAID drive.  It said it did not have enough room to copy the files to remove the RAID disk and that I needed to add another drive.  I cleared off a 2TB external drive I had (USB 2) and added that.  It supposedly ran out of room on that one too so I added another 1TB drive and restarted.  Now it says it still has nearly 700GB left to transfer and it's been running for days.  I'm not sure what to do.  I've fed the darn thing a total of over 5TB to remove a 5.6TB drive with only about 1.7TB of actual data!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:27 AM

Answers

• Have you submitted a bug on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:15 PM

All replies

• Have you submitted a bug on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Will do.  Thanks.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 4:26 AM