WHS 2011 in Hyper-V: How to Create Client Restore Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I may be putting my WHS 2011 license back into service as a VM in Hyper-V, which has no direct USB device support for client machines. Is there an alternate way to create a bootable client restore key when using a virtualized server? 
    Monday, October 30, 2017 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, a bootable USB flash drive is generic. You can install WHS 2011 on a physical machine(or any other physical machine which has the same OS version) and use it to create it. The, use the bootable USB flash drive to restore your client computer.

Also, method mentioned in below link can be considered as a reference:
    https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/3628-creating-a-client-restore-disk/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eve. However, in that case I would lose any custom driver support that might be associated with a specific client.

I guess what I am really asking is how to gain access to any needed drivers. I have heard that there is a folder created in the client backup that one can access. I also understand that on Windows Server Essentials, there is a location in the server file system where the USB recovery key files are stored, and one can make such a key manually. I am wondering if a similar option exists for WHS 2011.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:47 PM