OneCare won't allow Remote Assitance. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed OneCare and now Remote Assistance does not work.  Allow remote assistance (RA) is checked in the remoting options and there is a firewall exception.  Uninstalling Onecare makes it so that RA sessions work just fine.  What is the secret to gettting RA to work?  I'm using Vista.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:42 PM

Answers

• I don't have an answer for you, but you can reach out to support until someone steps in to help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the get more help link in the lower right.

-steve

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Hi Joe

Many times remote assistance will not work because routers do not forward the packets to the machine behind it. Do you have a router at your mother's place?

An easy way to find out whether OneCare is the problem, is to disable firewall and see if that resolves the problem. However, this is risky and you should not only consider doing it if you have a router between your mother's computer and internet.

Thanks

Neeraj

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:20 AM

All replies

• I don't have an answer for you, but you can reach out to support until someone steps in to help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the get more help link in the lower right.

-steve

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:15 AM
  •  

I guess I am having a similar probem not sure if it is onecare related but I can't get remote assitance to work remotely.  I help my mother when she has problems and I got frustrated trying to get her to explain the problem so I tried remote assitance which I could not get to work.  I then drove the hour to her house fixed the prooblem and tried remote assitance while on the same netwrok and it worked fine.  I have checked the option in onecare to allow remote connections over the internet but it still does not work.  I have onecare on both pc's.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Hi Joe

Many times remote assistance will not work because routers do not forward the packets to the machine behind it. Do you have a router at your mother's place?

An easy way to find out whether OneCare is the problem, is to disable firewall and see if that resolves the problem. However, this is risky and you should not only consider doing it if you have a router between your mother's computer and internet.

Thanks

Neeraj

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:20 AM