Why is onecare more expensive direct than from a retailer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I downloaded onecare when i put together my latest computer, as a lot of other firms did not support 64bit OS.  I have liked the software as it sits happily in the background not conflicting with any other part of the OS.  

However when the 90 day trial ran out, i was shocked to discover that the full one year subscription is £37.99.  Why is it so expensive when it is only £24.99 in pcworld, and even less at amazon?  Surely that fact i can just download it without packaging etc means it should be cheaper direct?

Many Thanks

Jules
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:21 PM

Answers

• I can't tell you why this is but it is the norm.  Other security companies such as Symantec and McAfee do the same thing.  I once bought McAfee Internet Security for $12.00 on a cheap software site when it was $39.95 on McAfee's website.

On WLOC however I only paid $19.95 because I participated in the 2.0 Beta program.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• I can't tell you why this is but it is the norm.  Other security companies such as Symantec and McAfee do the same thing.  I once bought McAfee Internet Security for $12.00 on a cheap software site when it was $39.95 on McAfee's website.

On WLOC however I only paid $19.95 because I participated in the 2.0 Beta program.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:42 PM
  • You would think that the download or a renewal would be cheaper, but it isn't. You can, however, renew an existing subscription with a retail key if you purchase a copy cheaper.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Quite simple really. If a software developer sold their product direct for less than the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the retail distributors could never make a profit. How long do you think they'd continue selling the developer's products if they were constantly undercut on price by that very same developer?

This is standard practice for most any product, though as was already mentioned there are special circumstances where this can be bypassed, though they're generally rare. The developer receives more for the product if you choose to buy direct, but this also tends to push more business towards the retail and other distribution outlets, making them more interested in advertising and selling those products.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:32 AM