backup from one WHS to another WHS RRS feed

• Question

• ok i have 3 home servers running at different locations
    my home
    my office
    my parents
    and possibly more to come with bro's and sis's etc.
    We ea pay $ monthly for online backup ie S3 but why cant someone run a plugin that would backup to another WHS that is offsite at another location for backup and it would cost nothing. We (our family) could be an offsite backup for ea others stuff.

Any ideas on this? (must be automatic like jungle disk)
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Got it. That's do-able. I had the impression you wanted to back up the whole server over the Internet, which is, umm, silly. Smile

As I see it, the add-in required would consist of multiple components. One would be a Settings tab that would allow control of who's allowed to replicate to your server, and who your server would try to replicate to. I also see a service that would handle the inbound replication, and a service that would handle the outbound replication. A restore would consist of reversing the pipe for as long as it took. I don't think it's a huge deal to create something like that; how are you with C# or VB.Net?
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:37 AM

All replies

•  smartmoney wrote:
    ok i have 3 home servers running at different locations
    my home
    my office
    my parents
    and possibly more to come with bro's and sis's etc.
    We ea pay $ monthly for online backup ie S3 but why cant someone run a plugin that would backup to another WHS that is offsite at another location for backup and it would cost nothing. We (our family) could be an offsite backup for ea others stuff.

Any ideas on this? (must be automatic like jungle disk)
    It's an idea for an add-in, but...

There's a question of practicality. Backing up "to the cloud" seems practical because it's a trickle of data all the time. But ask yourself how you're going to restore from the cloud. Over cable modem, it would take about 2 1/2 to 3 days to restore all your data if you have 300 GB in your shares.

Backing up a small amount of critical information is one thing. Backing up your entire server is something completely different.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:53 PM
  • maybe i should have been more specific.

what i was going with is the following:
    i have 2.5TB of storage on my home server most of which i would not be lost if it were gone. I then have 50GB of family pictures, documents, etc that i WOULD be horrified if gone so i use jungle disk to backup those files offsite to the "cloud" to S3 but it still costs me $120yr for that backup. What i was getting at is why not have something like jungle disk to be able to backup automatically to another WHS  the 50GB not the entire 2.5TB. We are already having the server on and running 24\7 so i wont have the additional cost $ of offline storage.

so the "cloud" is now not amazon but another family members WHS. Critical files not whole server database backup.

Same concept Jungle disk does but Jungle Disk does not offer anything other than S3

is this a better explanation? 
    Friday, August 15, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Take a look at crashplan, allows you to backup to another PC for free. My parents use it to backup to my WHS. Only problem with it is that I haven't worked out how to backup to my Shares, currently backs up to a drive outside of the storage pool.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Got it. That's do-able. I had the impression you wanted to back up the whole server over the Internet, which is, umm, silly. Smile

As I see it, the add-in required would consist of multiple components. One would be a Settings tab that would allow control of who's allowed to replicate to your server, and who your server would try to replicate to. I also see a service that would handle the inbound replication, and a service that would handle the outbound replication. A restore would consist of reversing the pipe for as long as it took. I don't think it's a huge deal to create something like that; how are you with C# or VB.Net?
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I agree.  It would be great to have a USB drive hanging off a WHS at a friend / family member's home.  Crashplan (or something else) backs up my storage pool to that offsite USB drive.  If my WHS fails for whatever reason, I can get the USB drive and use it to restore my WHS.

Alternately, my WHS could be stored in the friend / family member's storage pool.  If I need to restore, I go to the friend's house and copy my data from his WHS to a USB drive and then use it to restore my WHS.

At ~$170 for a 1TB USB drive, it seems like a cost-effective solution for offsite backup.

Seems like a great extension for Crashplan ...anyone listening?  ;o)

-d.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Probably the place to start would be to contact Crashplan directly.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Already done! 

They've responded and said "it's on the list' but they don't know when it will be available.

-d.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:25 PM
  • just pushing this idea to the top again. I think it is a GREAT idea!
    I have an s3 account and it is approaching $15 a mointh. I need to move on. any ideas? somethig that works like jungledisk (automated)
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:19 PM
  • I struggled on this for a while and came up with the following solution, which, I might add works PERFECTLY!

Step 1:
    Create a new userid for the server you're going to backup.  I've got a home WHS and an office WHS.  So, I have a userid for the office on my home server, and visa versa.

Step 2:
    Create an account using Logmein's free service - Hamachi2.  You can create a simple and secure VPN.  Mine is called "WHS Network"

Step 3:
    Add each server to that VPN network you've created.

Step 4:
    Download Microsoft SyncToy. Latest version is SyncToy 2.1

Step 5:
    Have SyncToy backup the important files you need to save over the VPN to your share drive on the server.

Step 6:
    Setup a schedule so that SyncToy runs automatically.  Mine is setup to run Monday and Thursday at Midnight.

Now, the first time you run it, it will be super slow. But once it's connected and backed up the first time, the rest will be a piece of cake!

I've also had excellent luck backing up a PC using the WHS backup feature thru Hamachi 2.  (My mom's not technically savvy, so we setup a Hamachi 2 connection (runs in the background as a service), and connected her to my server at home.  Works GREAT!

Hope that helps!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:27 AM
  • I've also had excellent luck backing up a PC using the WHS backup feature thru Hamachi 2.  (My mom's not technically savvy, so we setup a Hamachi 2 connection (runs in the background as a service), and connected her to my server at home.  Works GREAT!
    One note on this: you won't be able to restore over Hamachi.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:39 PM
  • One note on this: you won't be able to restore over Hamachi.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Very true!  However, for my situation, it's a 10 minute drive to get her machine to restore it.  Our main focus was to make sure her digital photos are safe, as to teach her how to copy everything to a usb drive is simply not possible, and I can't guarantee that she'll put files in the proper folder, if we chose to automatically backup a single folder.

Ken is right, however, that my solution for backing up a PC using WHS's own solution wouldn't be practical for long distances - because of the restore issue. 

FWIW, if you're trying to backup a single PC over a long distance, you could still use SyncToy and hamachi to automatically sync files and folders to the WHS remotely, wherever you might be.  This would allow you to restore the important files once the machine is restored.

There's no doubt that offsite backups are the only way to go to ensure data safety.  It's not a simple solution though!  And like many, I hate the idea of paying someone by the GB for data security.  Suddenly, I have to either prioritize my data on what gets saved and what doesn't, or pay out more $$. Carbonite was a perfect solution when I used windows XP machines as servers (carbonite backed up the two internal drives), but when I expanded to WHS for increased security and versatility, Carbonite didn't work anymore. 
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I recently started work on a WHS add-in to do exactly this. It's still early days, but I have recently started putting more and more hours into it. I think it will eventually be a pretty useful add-in. The plan is to start out simple and just get some plaintext backup working first.

The tricky thing about this project is to find a balance of which level of trust is required between two backup buddies. At the extreme end of this, some pretty complicated encryption schemes would have to be employed.

When stumbling on this thread, I was actually looking for information on the state of virtual shadow copy on WHS. I think this feature would make my project simpler, but it sounds like using this feature would limit the scope of the add-in. Certainly all HP owners would be left out and judging by Ken's FAQ post on the subject, I shouldn't expect it to work at all. Without virtual shadow copies it may be hard to get a proper snapshot of a share, so 'best effort' may have to suffice.

Anyway, I'm making the add-in because I think it's fun and educational and I don't intend to charge for it when it's eventually release-worthy.

Keep a lookout for the OffsiteBuddy add-in in the future :)

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:23 PM
  • You might be interested to know about Wuala which is basically Grid Backup rather than Cloud Backup:
    http://www.wuala.com/

--
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:37 PM
  • I would love something simple like this. I too plan on a WHS at my parents house, and it would be a great safeguard backup. This plan with Hamachi and synctoy should suffice though. At least it's backed up in the event of a catastrophe. Getting the data wouldn't be that difficult. Just send them a USB drive sufficient for the amount of data, or do a remote desktop and grab it that way, lots of options.

WHS is great, but not so great should something happen, God forbid, to your home and lose everything. I've considered a safe deposit box for an external backup. But that would be a major pain to get it for a backup once a month.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:42 AM
  • Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:16 PM
  • From the Cucku website

Cucku Backup is no longer available for download and no new accounts can be created. On September 15, 2010 the service was shut down completely.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Hi

i hope u still working on offsitebuddy add-in.

I have trayd the toutorial but i didnt sucseed.

/ozzro

Monday, January 17, 2011 12:18 PM