none
70-689 question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello members,

I was wondering what I should study for the 70-689 exam.

I already checked the skills measured tab and held it next to the 70-687 70-688 exams, these look quite the same.

Basically because you can get MCSA Windows 8 with both they should have the same contents.

But to be sure I just wanted to ask: Is there going to be a 70-689 book and prepping materials or should I study the 687 688 materials?

Thanks already!

Greetings from Holland.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• I may be wrong and maybe there's something special for 70-689, but in general, from my past experience with "upgrade" exams, there are no books or preparation materials specifically targeted to the update. Instead, they always recommend that you study the materials for the various "ordinary" exams that would make up the certification if you were to take them from zero rather than upgrading (i.e., 687 and 688 in this particular case, as you have already found out).

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:14 PM
  • That's correct Alberto.

I'd also like to add that upgrade exams generally only concentrate on new/updated features of a product version therefore the skills measured will not always be exactly the same as the individual exams.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Marked as answer by DirkVissers Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:45 PM

All replies

• I may be wrong and maybe there's something special for 70-689, but in general, from my past experience with "upgrade" exams, there are no books or preparation materials specifically targeted to the update. Instead, they always recommend that you study the materials for the various "ordinary" exams that would make up the certification if you were to take them from zero rather than upgrading (i.e., 687 and 688 in this particular case, as you have already found out).

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:14 PM
  • That's correct Alberto.

I'd also like to add that upgrade exams generally only concentrate on new/updated features of a product version therefore the skills measured will not always be exactly the same as the individual exams.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by DirkVissers Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Thank you for the replies! Still waiting on the MS Press releases of the books though :)
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:37 PM
  • There will not be a book released for this exam and Microsoft generally doesn't release books for upgrade exams.  The preparation materials area on the exam page also shows no book available which is also an indication that one won't be released as Microsoft usually puts the book name their even if it hasn't been released yet.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:42 PM