Does WHS plan to backup its Windows Phone 7 devices RRS feed

• Question

• Would be interesting to find out if this was possible as my phone for some random reason rest itself back to default settings and caused me a great deal of frustration (HD7 incase you were wondering).

* could be a handy little featue in a SP update ;) or new os release...

Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:40 PM

All replies

• Very unlikely. To back up a device, a connector needs to be built, and I just don't see that happening for all the different Windows Phone 7 devices there might be out there.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:12 PM
  • On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:12:41 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

Very unlikely. To back up a device, a connector needs to be built, and I just don't see that happening for all the different Windows Phone 7 devices there might be out there.

One utility written using RAPI could handle all Windows Mobile devices; it uses the same
    transport mechanism as ActiveSync and Windows Mobile Device Center.

Windows Phone 7 devices synchronize via Exchange Server. I have no idea whether Exchange
    Server provides any room for extensions, analogous to RAPI and ActiveSync. But if it does,
    I'll bet one utility would suffice for all Windows Phone 7 devices. And if it doesn't, I
    doubt any mechanism is available.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Exchange is no part of the Windows Home Server experience, however. And neither is ActiveSync. And as I said previously, I really don't see Microsoft putting the time and effort in to deliver a connector for Windows Phone 7 devices. Feel free to submit a product suggestion on Connect, though. I'd even vote for it, though I neither have nor want a Windows Phone 7 phone. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:06 AM
  • On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 02:06:17 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

Exchange is no part of the Windows Home Server experience, however. And neither is ActiveSync. And as I said previously, I really don't see Microsoft putting the time and effort in to deliver a connector for Windows Phone 7 devices. Feel free to submit a product suggestion on Connect, though. I'd even vote for it, though I neither have nor want a Windows Phone 7 phone. :)

I don't expect the WHS folks to deal with phones at all. But I think other parts of
    Microsoft could help them write one connector that would work for all Windows Mobile
    devices and one connector that would work for all Windows Phone 7 devices. No need to
    write anything specifically for each device.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:11 PM