none
GIT terms and TFS terms do not sync when searching online - late comer to TFS: question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm attempting to pull the latest code from a 2017 TFS repository.  More specifically, my web.config shows a difference between the Net Framework version that is checked into the repository (I have Net Framework 4.6.1 and the repository shows Net Framework 4.7.2).  In Git, we "pull".  If necessary, we stash, then pull which will overwrite the changes in the local repository.  Worst case, delete the entire project and pull it again from the repository.   Terms like "Fetch Latest" do not seem to exist in TFS and searching for the answer to something as simple as this, is nearly impossible.

Is there a set of terms that lists both the GIT and associated TFS terms?  I haven't used TFS since 2010.  There have been many changes.   I am bound (project binding) so I receive updates, but it is far more difficult to tell TFS to update the packages and in this case, Net Framework.   The system is closed.  It does not connect to the internet.  The only source is on the TFS server.

How is this task performed in TFS?

(Possibly a tag to update the release notes? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releasenotes/tfs2017-relnotes)

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:42 PM

All replies

• Have part of the answer - someone on the team checked in a new branch with the Framework 4.7.2.   The project name was confusing and the wrong branch was downloaded.  That answers the Framework part of the question above. 

As GIT is now a Microsoft product, it would be nice to see a sxs comparison of the two along with their command structure.

Always fun going in blind...

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Hi krakdcorn,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>Is there a set of terms that lists both the GIT and associated TFS terms?

Please try to know the terms from here: Choosing the right version control for your project

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:21 AM
  • Hi Krakdcorn,

Sorry for bothering you.

Since this issue is more related to tfs, we recommend you could redirect to stack overflow with tfs tag for better support.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 8:07 AM