none
Problems with Editor since the 3/27/09 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Since the upgrade, it seems that some of the features in the editor that used to be available are gone.

There no longer are buttons to change text and background color.  When I tried to make a numbered list, it didn't "take".  It looked ok in the edit window, but after I submitted the reply, the numbers were gone.  By default, it seems to make a list out of the whole reply instead of the text that has been selected or starting where the cursor is.

Also, I have always had a problem indenting a portion of the reply.  I only succeed in indenting the whole reply.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:28 PM

Answers

• I responded to this on another thread as well. The relative path urls thing will be fixed in this weeks patch. There's a config option that needed to be explicitly set in TinyMCE to stop this behavior.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:45 PM
  • You're right we scaled back on the features, most people seem to be happy we've done this to reduce clutter.
    We'll have to figure out which features our community really wants before we turn them on.

We know about the indent not working in IE, we'll be investingating that soon, this is the first I head about the numbers not working we'll investigate that as well.

thanks.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:07 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:37 PM

All replies

• You're right we scaled back on the features, most people seem to be happy we've done this to reduce clutter.
    We'll have to figure out which features our community really wants before we turn them on.

We know about the indent not working in IE, we'll be investingating that soon, this is the first I head about the numbers not working we'll investigate that as well.

thanks.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:07 PM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Sam:

it's not just a matter of clutter in the interface. I think allowing folks to chnage the font size and/or the text and background colors often produces much less readable posts.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Yes, we can have a lot of fun with the HTML editor. Personally, I think we should get rid of it, and just make sure that the editor can do whatever is reasonably required.

As to your serious post:

1. Yes , I noticed that also. I think it would be better to include it, and strip the sig from the bottom.

2. Yes, it does, but does it really matter?

3. Yes, I noticed this also, and have reported it.

4. The line-spacing behavior of different browsers seems inconsistent. I use Mozilla browser (SeaMonkey actually) and it seems to work OK.

• Edited by davewilk Monday, March 30, 2009 2:31 PM test
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:53 PM
  • 1. In the hands of a responsible person such as yourself the HTML editor is fine. But it can be abused. I like the fact that the new TinyMCE editor without the font size dropdown imposes a uniform look to all the posts.

2. For me, this means that as soon as I hit the HTML button, a new tab opens for the HTML window. But when I press Update or Cancel the new window closes, and I am back on the original tab. No harm, no foul.

3. Perhaps what I am talking about is not quite the same as you. What I noticed is that if I do an ordinary Edit, and then go to Edit again without collapsing the thread, then the Editor opens in HTML mode (but not in a new tab). This just has to be a bug.

4. I don't seem to have any trouble on Mozilla browsers.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 2:40 PM
  • egads:

Your HTML editing experience seems different from mine. Have you tried it on FireFox?

Monday, March 30, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Has the update also revoked new thread posting abilities, because I can't even make a new topic anymore with getting an error that says "Body length must be 4-60000 characters".  All I can do is reply.  I'm using Firefox and Vista, never had a problem until the update of forums.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:29 PM
  • meef, which version of FF?
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Looks like he figured it out , that's posted with FF.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:06 AM
  • That is another bug.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:53 PM
    Hans Passant.
    Yeah, I didn't see that there was a slightly new revision of FF out, so I updated and it worked.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Yeah, I didn't see that there was a slightly new revision of FF out, so I updated and it worked.
    I use SeaMonkey 1.x, which is like FireFox 2. Apart from some display glitches, it works fine. I am surprised you need to update to the very latest FireFox.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:27 PM
    Hans Passant.

Very oddly, clicking on Hans' link gives me a HTTP403 error...?

I had to go to the Visual Basic General thread to view meef's post.

It is a known problem.  See:  hard to get to the msdn forums home.

It depends on where you start from.  Msdn works technet, etc do not.

The real link is Trying to print an Access form.

Speaking of links, the "Insert/edit link" button has problems.  It is grey unless something is selected.  Then, it does not always work correctly.

I have also seen it switch to the html editor when re-editing.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:44 PM
  • It is a known problem.  See:  hard to get to the msdn forums home .

It depends on where you start from.  Msdn works technet, etc do not.
    That's not quite it.  The hyperlink editor inserts a relative path, relative from what forum you post to.  But people will read the post relative from, say, My Forums Threads.  Or a moderator may have moved the thread.  There's another scenario where the forum name gets repeated twice, not sure how to do that.  Either way is a dead link.  Not sure if "offended" is the right word, but I've been muttering the "F"-word a lot at 40x lately.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:56 PM
  • That's not quite it.  The hyperlink editor inserts a relative path, relative from what forum you post to.  But people will read the post relative from, say, My Forums Threads.  Or a moderator may have moved the thread.  There's another scenario where the forum name gets repeated twice, not sure how to do that.  Either way is a dead link.  Not sure if "offended" is the right word, but I've been muttering the "F"-word a lot at 40x lately.

Hans Passant.

I know that it is a relative path.

It is just that the path is wrong if you start from the wrong place.

Also, the paths can be wrong in the email updates.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I responded to this on another thread as well. The relative path urls thing will be fixed in this weeks patch. There's a config option that needed to be explicitly set in TinyMCE to stop this behavior.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Let me add my gripe list: (1) Since the latest retrograde, my entering of posts lose all formatting. Newlines are ignored and all lines are concatenated. Entered C/C++ code is therefore "obfuscated". (2) There are *no* formatting menus or buttons of any sort. (Only a "Has Code" checkbox.) (3) There is no longer any checkbox to request alerts, and I am no longer getting email alerts. (4) Trying to edit my posts throws me into HTML. I am using IE 6.0 with all downloadable fixes applied. Running XP and using a dial-up network. (This post was entered with blank lines between each line of text.) - Wayne
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:15 PM
  • When you reply, are you seeing the reply textbox inline with the posts, or are you being navigated to a new page (sounds like the latter to me. If so, JS doesn't seem to be working for you...)

We're getting sporadic reports of this type of behavior, but haven't been able to nail it down to find out what's going on...
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:06 AM