off topic - backup message RRS feed

• General discussion

• On Vista Home Prem. 32-bit; as an Administrator, when I start to do a manual backup to my external HD, a confirmation window pops up with these details:

"C:\Windows\system32\sdclt.exe"  KICKOFFJOB

My questions:

1. What do the quote marks mean?
    2. What is the difference between capital letters & LC letters?
    3. What does KICKOFFJOB mean?

I had a laptop of mine hijacked a few years ago & I want to make sure that this laptop & my external HD are secure.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:25 PM

All replies

• I've never seen this from a OneCare backup.

However, I can answer part of your questions:

1. The quotes wrap the path of the file being executed, sdclt.exe

2. The caps vs. lower case is probably simply coding.

3. That would be the "argument" for the executable in the first part of the statement.

However, I don't think your should be seeing this, so it would probably be a good idea to contact support to determine why you are seeing this. Does the manual backup proceed or do you have to respond to the prompt that you see with the string of text above?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Thank you, Stephen.

The text is hidden under "Details" when you launch the backup tool from the Vista HP Total CareTool. As an Admin, I have to respond to the prompt as to Allow or Cancel.

I will follow the FAQ link you sent.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Well, that explains why I had no idea what that was doing popping up. You're actually off topic here as you are referring to a backup function provided by HP Total Care. This forum is for Windows Live OneCare, so you should contact HP with your questions.

However, allow/cancel is for UAC which is Vista's way to confirm, "did you really mean to do this task, as it is pretty high level admin stuff?" Since you launched the backup, allow is the correct response. If the UAC prompt appeared when you weren't expecting it, and the process was malware, you would have the opportunity to deny.

-steve

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Thank you, but my original ? was about the KICKOFFJOB at the end of the prompt message. I did not allow it because of that. Any suggestions? Is there a prompt I can use from the "Run" line to backup to my external G drive?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I don't know what it specifically does, hence my suggestion to contact the PC manufacturer about their program.

I suspect it is simply the command along with the path to run the specified process.

As for a command to run that backup program/process manually from Start/Run, I can't answer that. Once again, contact the program provider.

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:11 AM