Drive failure: Wasn't data supposed to be protected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Not my first post here, and unfortunately not my first disk failure (darn seagate drives!).  The previous two times when these shoddy 1TB's failed I was able to get them RTM'ed and replaced and might have lost my Media center recordings.  This time I'm missing all of my music, photos, and documents. 

Now these folders were set up to be protected and copied across the three data drives.  From what I'm seeing so far this does not appear to be true.  I'm attempting to use spinrite on the failed drive to get it to limp along to create a backup to a new 2TB drive, but I'm not certain this will work.

What's wrong with my system here?  Now I've not tried 'removing' the 1TB drive from the array.  I'm not certain this would fix my problem.  How can I recover these files from the backups it was supposed to create?  Or is this a case where Microsoft's resistance to using a true RAID bit me in the rear?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:19 AM

Answers

• Depending on the file:

Photos:  'Photo Gallery cannot open this file or Video.  The file may be unsupported, damaged, or corrupt.

Data:  The device is not connected

I'm hoping this is true, that when I remove the dead drive that my important data returns. 

It's not that the data will "return" (the data is there).  As I said, the tombstone (aka reparse point) is simply pointing to a file that no longer exists (and those error messages confirm it).  In order for the tombstone to get updated, you need to remove the dead drive from the Console.

I've ordered a 1.5TB drive to act as a 'backup' device outside my case for future failures.  Before I remove the drive from the server I'll try spinrite. 

You should remove the drive from the Console ASAP (since right now, there is no duplication on your files and there won't be until you remove the dead drive).  If you have another drive failure at this point, you will lose data.  You can run SpinRite on it from a client after the fact.

I know the drive has failed from past experience.  The SATA card doesn't read the drive in it's bios, and when it is picked up the Segate tools confirm it to be dead.

• Marked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:28 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

Not my first post here, and unfortunately not my first disk failure (darn seagate drives!).  The previous two times when these shoddy 1TB's failed I was able to get them RTM'ed and replaced and might have lost my Media center recordings.  This time I'm missing all of my music, photos, and documents. 

Now these folders were set up to be protected and copied across the three data drives.  From what I'm seeing so far this does not appear to be true.  I'm attempting to use spinrite on the failed drive to get it to limp along to create a backup to a new 2TB drive, but I'm not certain this will work.

What's wrong with my system here?  Now I've not tried 'removing' the 1TB drive from the array.  I'm not certain this would fix my problem.  How can I recover these files from the backups it was supposed to create?  Or is this a case where Microsoft's resistance to using a true RAID bit me in the rear?

How do you know that it didn't work?  Are you getting an error message when you try to open the files?  If so, exactly what does it say?  FYI, a failed drive needs to be removed from the Console before an "alternate shadow" gets promoted to a "primary shadow".  Without that promotion, the tombstones will continue to point to the now-missing "primary shadow" (that was on the failed drive) and you will get an error message.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Depending on the file:

Photos:  'Photo Gallery cannot open this file or Video.  The file may be unsupported, damaged, or corrupt.

I'm hoping this is true, that when I remove the dead drive that my important data returns.  I've ordered a 1.5TB drive to act as a 'backup' device outside my case for future failures.  Before I remove the drive from the server I'll try spinrite. 

I know the drive has failed from past experience.  The SATA card doesn't read the drive in it's bios, and when it is picked up the Segate tools confirm it to be dead.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Depending on the file:

I'm hoping this is true, that when I remove the dead drive that my important data returns. 

It's not that the data will "return" (the data is there).  As I said, the tombstone (aka reparse point) is simply pointing to a file that no longer exists (and those error messages confirm it).  In order for the tombstone to get updated, you need to remove the dead drive from the Console.

I've ordered a 1.5TB drive to act as a 'backup' device outside my case for future failures.  Before I remove the drive from the server I'll try spinrite. 

You should remove the drive from the Console ASAP (since right now, there is no duplication on your files and there won't be until you remove the dead drive).  If you have another drive failure at this point, you will lose data.  You can run SpinRite on it from a client after the fact.

• Marked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kaplah Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:28 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Sorry for the mark, unmark, mark.  I tried to reply and the page gave me an error.  I had to refresh.

You are right.  I wasn't thinking in terms of a second drive failure after the first.  As such I'm removing the drive.  I have been scanning the drive in parallel and have found it unrecoverable.  Segate's RMA policy will get me a new drive (great!) but the quality I've seen so far is absolute ____ and you need the 5 year warranty.  Not sure if these new drive are really better than the flawed batch that I have from a year an a half ago.

Thank you for your help!

Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Ok, how long should I be 'removing the drive'?  I started the process 1.5 days ago and it's still running on the home server. 
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Ok, how long should I be 'removing the drive'?  I started the process 1.5 days ago and it's still running on the home server. 
    I would think it should be done by now.  It's probably taking forever because it's failing.  You might have to power down the server, disconnect the drive, power up the server, then remove the now-missing drive from the Console (which should go much quicker because it won't try to transfer files from one that failing drive).
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:00 PM