CRM workflow design keeps throwing "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.CustomActivityInfoMetadata.GetParametersInfo RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Below is the error info i got from the event log in the CRM server.  I keep getting CRM error page when trying to load the workflow designer page.  I tried to restart the server and it worked.  However it keeps coming back.  Please advice if you know any alternate solution.  FYI: the admin already intall the latest CRM fix.

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 11/15/2009 11:21:06 PM

Event time (UTC): 11/16/2009 7:21:06 AM

Event ID: c89c20e738bf4ed2ac32bbf17958c67c

Event sequence: 101

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: blah

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\

Machine name: blah

Process information:

Process ID: 4636

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: blah

Exception information:

Exception type: NullReferenceException

Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Request information:

Request URL: http://mycrm/tools/workflowinstance/edit.aspx?id={67618FE0-B1CD-DE11-B86D-002219A2D183}

Request path: /tools/workflowinstance/edit.aspx

User host address: 10.0.2.153

User: {21beed8d-1f51-de11-bb77-002219a31d8f}

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: CrmPostAuthentication

Thread account name: blah

Thread information:

Thread ID: 13

Thread account name: blah

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.CustomActivityInfoMetadata.GetParametersInfo(Guid pluginTypeId, Boolean input)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.CustomActivityInfoMetadata.RefreshCustomActivityStepInfo(CustomActivityStep customActivityStep)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.WorkflowErrorVisitor.Visit(CustomActivityStep isvActivityStep)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.WorkflowErrorVisitor.VisitChildren(CompositeStepBase step)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.WorkflowErrorVisitor.VisitChildren(CompositeStepBase step)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.WorkflowErrorVisitor.Visit(WorkflowStep workflowStep)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.WorkflowUIVisitor.Visit(WorkflowStep workflowStep)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Web.Pages.WorkflowDefinitionControl.CreateWorkflowInstanceControl(Entity workflowInstance, Boolean printMode)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Web.Pages.WorkflowDefinitionControl..ctor(Guid asyncOperationId, AppResourceManager resourceManager, Boolean printMode, Boolean useSystemUserContext)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Web.Pages.WorkflowInstancePage.ConfigureForm()

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:37 AM

Answers

• This sounds like it is a custom workflow, is that correct or is this happening when you try to create a new workfow that is not custom?  This error message doesn't really provide a clear pointer to the exact problem.   Please provide more information about your environment, the workflow, how it was deployed, etc.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:31 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:17 PM

All replies

• Do you have any custom workflow activity associated to this workflow? If so, you might want to check that custom workflow activity in your workflow. Also, it this workflow imported from another environment? If so, if you reference to any custom activity, try to rebuild this workflow to see if it works for you.

Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:39 PM
  • It works again after trying to recompile and restart iis along with async service.  i will continue to monitor to see if it will go away permanently and if recompiling helped.  Thanks.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Recompile and reset IIS and Async service don't remove this problem permenantly.  I even restarted the server.  I need some help.  Please let me know if anyone can point out the solution.  Thanks again.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:14 AM
  • This sounds like it is a custom workflow, is that correct or is this happening when you try to create a new workfow that is not custom?  This error message doesn't really provide a clear pointer to the exact problem.   Please provide more information about your environment, the workflow, how it was deployed, etc.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:31 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:17 PM