When does ICE present alternative projection settings? RRS feed

• Question

• The new version of ICE works very well. I have stitched a number of panos. On one occasion, it presented me with alternative projections in a box on the right of screen. Otherwise it didn't, and I couldn't find any way of accessing them. Can anyone help?
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:58 AM

Answers

• Good question. ICE can create two types of panoramas "planar" and "rotating". Planar examples are a flatbed scanner scanning a document in multiple chunks, or aerial imagery from a moving aircraft. Rotating is the more typical case of a photographer standing in one spot and rotating. ICE tries to automatically determine, from the images, the most appropriate type. ICE can get confused especially in the case of a zoom lens where rotation looks a lot like translation.

The projection feature in ICE is available for rotating motion. In the rotating case the images have effectively been placed on a sphere and the projection menu gives you options for how to flatten that sphere.

If your image set is a planar case then the result is already "flat" and the projection options don't apply.

So if your image set is truly planar then you don't need the projection options. If it is rotating then they should be available. If ICE did not automatically select the correct "motion" you can force "Rotating motion", instead of the default "Auto-detect" in the "Camera motion" menu on the IMPORT page.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:06 AM
  • The latest update to ICE (version 2.0.3) helps address this issue.  Whenever you choose planar camera motion, or ICE automatically chooses planar camera motion, the projection options are not available.  However, you'll see the following message reminding you that projection options are available if you choose rotating camera motion:

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:34 PM

All replies

• Good question. ICE can create two types of panoramas "planar" and "rotating". Planar examples are a flatbed scanner scanning a document in multiple chunks, or aerial imagery from a moving aircraft. Rotating is the more typical case of a photographer standing in one spot and rotating. ICE tries to automatically determine, from the images, the most appropriate type. ICE can get confused especially in the case of a zoom lens where rotation looks a lot like translation.

The projection feature in ICE is available for rotating motion. In the rotating case the images have effectively been placed on a sphere and the projection menu gives you options for how to flatten that sphere.

If your image set is a planar case then the result is already "flat" and the projection options don't apply.

So if your image set is truly planar then you don't need the projection options. If it is rotating then they should be available. If ICE did not automatically select the correct "motion" you can force "Rotating motion", instead of the default "Auto-detect" in the "Camera motion" menu on the IMPORT page.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:06 AM
  • Thanks Matt. I sometimes like to choose a projection for aesthetic reasons even where the image is essentially flat - eg, I often fine fisheye gives nice results for tall/vertical panos.

I continue to be very impressed by the latest version of ICE. To borrow a phrase from somewhere, it "just works" most of the time, and I am feeling pangs of regret for some of the money I have spent on alternatives.

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:39 AM
  • In ICE 1.4.4, it was a very useful feature to be able to select and adjust the projection (cylindrical, spherical, ...)

Where can I find that functionality in ICE 2?

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:48 AM
  • The latest update to ICE (version 2.0.3) helps address this issue.  Whenever you choose planar camera motion, or ICE automatically chooses planar camera motion, the projection options are not available.  However, you'll see the following message reminding you that projection options are available if you choose rotating camera motion:

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:34 PM
  • This is a great addition!

Although my question clearly was a "user error", I love how you guys took charge of it and reduced user confusion.

I was afraid that the option had been removed in the new version, happy to see it's still there.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:48 PM