Installing Printers RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was able to install a printer on the WHS server using a display attached to the PC, but this could be a problem for headless units.

Installing the printer required the following steps:

• Insert the printer driver disc in the drive
    • Install the driver software
    • Attach printer to USB port when told
    • Print test page

This was relatively easy since I was sitting in front of this PC/monitor. It would be much more difficult if the server was truly headless.

Another potential problem concerns software that installs with the printer...the software installs fine but can only be run on the server. I can connect to the printer from other PCs but cannot run the software (for printing on DVD discs). I may not be able to install the software on a client PC since the install requires you to plug in the printer at one point.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:39 PM

All replies

• thats a common issue though. for example my HP printer, i can print from any Pc, but can only access the scan and copy functions from the pc its actually attached to. I dont think WHS will change that!

Barty
    Friday, February 23, 2007 2:36 PM
  • It would be really cool if WHS will allow for some sort of USB port sharing so we can use all the functions of Multi Function Printers over the home network.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:46 PM
  •  danacline wrote:

I was able to install a printer on the WHS server using a display attached to the PC, but this could be a problem for headless units.

After WHS installation, there's no reason to attach a display.  Just use Remote Desktop to get to the server.

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:42 AM