New backup disks RRS feed

• Question

• Why does ONECARE ask for new disks when I try to do a backup (just to backup changed files) after any kind of update?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:31 AM

Answers

• I think the fact that you need to provide a new blank disc some time after the updates is coincidental. Remember, the security patches are released once per month and sometimes more. I think your discs are simply filling up over time and you need to add another disc to the set. This is normal behavior. The incremental backup will backup all new and changed files. That can be many more files than you think as some programs open data files and update metadata, for example, even if the files are not being used or changed by you. Mail stores for email programs can also be fairly large and indexes are constantly updated. The big dependency is the "What" you have selected for your file types to be backed up in your plan. If you have accepted the default, that may be including a whole lot of files that you don't really care about, but are being backed up each time you perform a backup. A DVD holds about 4.5 Gigs of data, while the typical PC these days has hard drives that range from 100 Gigs to 500 Gigs and more. A single downloaded and saved video file can be a Gig or more, so the amount of space needed for backup will vary considerably for each user.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:01 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by "any kind of update?"

If you are continuing a backup set, it should be able to add to the current disk, assuming that there is space available to continue. If enough files have changed to require a new disk, it will prompt you for the new disk.

From your question, I peceive that sometimes you can continue on the last disk and other times you need to provide a new blank disk. Is that true?

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:01 AM
  • for instance: I run a brand new back up on a wednesday and it prompts me to run another backup the next week . It will prompt me for 1 of the 3 dvd's that I have for that...but the 3 or 4th week after an essential update has been installed the 5th week may prompt me for new DVD's . The time from may change. but I have rarely gone through 1 1/2 months without haveing new dvd's and there isn't that much new on the computer.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I think the fact that you need to provide a new blank disc some time after the updates is coincidental. Remember, the security patches are released once per month and sometimes more. I think your discs are simply filling up over time and you need to add another disc to the set. This is normal behavior. The incremental backup will backup all new and changed files. That can be many more files than you think as some programs open data files and update metadata, for example, even if the files are not being used or changed by you. Mail stores for email programs can also be fairly large and indexes are constantly updated. The big dependency is the "What" you have selected for your file types to be backed up in your plan. If you have accepted the default, that may be including a whole lot of files that you don't really care about, but are being backed up each time you perform a backup. A DVD holds about 4.5 Gigs of data, while the typical PC these days has hard drives that range from 100 Gigs to 500 Gigs and more. A single downloaded and saved video file can be a Gig or more, so the amount of space needed for backup will vary considerably for each user.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I didn't accept the default because I dont have movies or outlook or financial files,. TOO cut down on the amount of backup but thank you.. you did explain WHY it wants new ones.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I'm glad that you configured backup to deal with the files you wanted to backup. You can also exclude files and folders from being backed up if you want. After selecting the "what" option and seeing the list of file types and the amount of space that will take up for the backup, you can click the link at the bottom of the window for "exclude files and folder" which will open another window with an explorer view of your PC that can be expanded. Once you expand the "Computer" entry, you can further expand the view to see all of the folders on your PC. Clearing check marks from any of them will mean that files in those folders matching your selections in the previous dialog will *not* be backed up. That may help you to further reduce the amount of space needed for your regular backups if you don't care about the files located in the excluded folders.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:16 PM