Vail installation creates infinite loop since NIC driver is missing RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed VAIL onto an Intel Intel DH57JG mini-itx mobo (which only recently came out). The installation generally went OK except that the LAN driver was not found by VAIL and the system would continuesly reboot with an error message that the install was not completed. I tied directing the driver install which had the driver in an .exe file on a the USB stick. As far as the Intel website does not post the actual .inf drivers. Needless to say the driver install for the network driver did not load. I eventually hit Alt-Del to kill the install process and used explorer to run the .exe file from USB. That seemed to finally have worked as I rebooted an the install process continued.

My question: How could this have been done correctly? VAIL seems to work now as I was able copy files from one WIN 7 machine to the VAIL HD.

I had a similar problem with the WIN 7 installation that the Gigabit driver was not found but WIN 7 didn't go into this infinite install loop that I had to kill. I could just run the necessary .exe file to install the missing drivers.

THANKS.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• I would preload the drivers onto the DVD image, as recommended by the install guide.  Yes, it requires the *.inf and *.sys files, but I'm 99% sure you'd find what you need if you unzipped Intel's .exe.

Or you can do what I did: install Vail on a known-good machine, install the drivers for the intended machine, then move the HDD.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:13 AM
  • or grab an old NIC from somewhere.. put that in.. and then load the drivers for your to be used nic..
    WORK FOR AVANADE!
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:36 AM
  • This is a known issue: if the NIC isn't detected (i.e. no drivers "in box") you get a loop as described in this build. It should be corrected in a future build.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Not correct. My NIC was detected as "a NIC", but there was no driver (ybanged out with a yellow exclamation mark). WHS Vail installed however.
    I needed to install the NIC driver after WHS installation completed to make the NIC work. But as said, WHS did install..

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:49f1ae2e-33d0-431a-8ac7-c7e0e75bcc9a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This is a known issue: if the NIC isn't detected (i.e. no drivers "in box") you get a loop as described in this build. It should be corrected in a future build.

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Not correct. My NIC was detected as "a NIC", but there was no driver (ybanged out with a yellow exclamation mark). WHS Vail installed however.
    I needed to install the NIC driver after WHS installation completed to make the NIC work. But as said, WHS did install..
    Somehow, both Ken and you are correct (beats me as to how).  I also had the same install loop (no NIC, click Restart, still no NIC, click Restart, etc.)  I can't even imagine why one works and another one doesn't...
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:41 AM
  • If your network interface is correctly detected as a network interface, but there are no in-box drivers, Leen is correct, I think. The more common situation is that it's not detected as a NIC (usually it's a "PCI Simple Communications Controller" I believe), in which case we're right. :)
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:45 AM