Possible to use Stored Procedures with the local (cached) database with MS Sync Services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hy,
    first of all sorry for my english, it`not my native language :)

I try to evaluate whether the MS Synchronization Services for ADO .NET is the right for my Project.
    The Problem is, that i query my database with stored procedures.
    So if i switch to Sync Services, can i use my SPs to query my local database when i do not have an internet connection? Or is the access on the local cache restricted to pure SQL?

Thanks for any reply or some tipps on sources to get into that topic

kind regards from germany :)
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:05 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• You are right that SQL CE does not support sp's or views.

Sql Express supports both, but your client database is on a device.

Maybe you can translate sp's into queries and use them on sql ce?

Friday, October 16, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• Could you elaborate on what you mean by local cache? Is this a local database (i.e. SQL server) that you want to synchronize when online and query when offline?

Also, when you say "Or is the access on the local cache restricted to pure SQL?", are you asking whether there is an alternative database product that you can use to achieve this?

Thanks,

Patrick

Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Hy Patrick,

yes i`m using a MS SQL Server and i`m not looking for an alternative database product to achieve my goal. So i´m looking for a solution to get a copy of the SQL Server database on my portable devices that i can query in offline mode like i do this at the online mode against the original database (with stored procedures and views)

I found the Synch Services an interesting solution, but before i go deper into that topic i would like to clarify if i can use stored procedures when im in offline mode.

I hope this description is detailed enough to understand what im trying to do?!

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:35 AM
  • OK, i think i get closer to an answer...and its not a good awarness.
    On my client i need to install an SQL Server Compact Edition and this is not able to handle SPs and Views.

Is that right?

So is there another option/ product to realize my problem?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:56 AM
  • You are right that SQL CE does not support sp's or views.

Sql Express supports both, but your client database is on a device.

Maybe you can translate sp's into queries and use them on sql ce?

Friday, October 16, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Yes, this is my solution i try to get running.
    I cache the needed SPs and Views on my mobile device and try to use them in a kind of batch process.

its a pity that SQL CE doesn support SP.
    If i had an Oracle environment i had no problems. The light database supports SPs :)

Thanks for your support!
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:12 AM