project server 2010: publishing project templates on server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How do you publish or make the project templates appear on the server for everyone's use? I am able to create a project template using project professional and saving it as a file but when I save it on the server, it doesn't show up anywhere on the server's page (pwa). Where is it supposed to show? am I missing something? I tried publishing the template but its impossible. I'm new to using epm so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, George

Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi geo_d,

In Project Server 2010, once you save the Project template on the server, on PWA it will available for you to be associated with the EPT.

1. Click Server settings

2. Under "Workflow and Project Detail Pages", click on Enterprise Project Types

3. Click on any of the existing EPT, scroll to the bottom and you will find the drop down "Project Plan Template".

4. Select your published Project template from the drop down, and save the EPT

5. Now when you create project using that EPT through PWA, the attached template will be used to create New project.

Note: The project template cannot be attached with your default EPT.

If you use Project professional to create New Project, follow the step to create New project using the Enterprise template:

1. Open Project Professional, and click on New.

2. Under the Available templates, click on Project Server Templates

3. Under the Project Server template tab,you can select your desired Project template.

You can also verify if your template is published on the server:

1. Click Server settings

2. Under Database Administration

3. Click delete Enterprise objects

3. Select Projects, and you can find you Project template among the list of projects.

4. You can differentiate between your template and projects through the Type column.

Does this help?

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Proposed as answer by Khurram Jamshed Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:50 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi George,

you will need to save your file as template on project server. Use Save As - select type "Template". In Project Web App, you will only find this template in Delete Enteprise Objects. To use your template, go to File - New in Project Professional. Your Project Server Templates will be available there.

Does that help?
    Barbara 

• Proposed as answer by Alexander.Burton Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:49 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

you will need to save your file as template on project server. Use Save As - select type "Template". In Project Web App, you will only find this template in Delete Enteprise Objects. To use your template, go to File - New in Project Professional. Your Project Server Templates will be available there.

Does that help?
    Barbara 

• Proposed as answer by Alexander.Burton Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:49 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hi geo_d,

In Project Server 2010, once you save the Project template on the server, on PWA it will available for you to be associated with the EPT.

1. Click Server settings

2. Under "Workflow and Project Detail Pages", click on Enterprise Project Types

3. Click on any of the existing EPT, scroll to the bottom and you will find the drop down "Project Plan Template".

4. Select your published Project template from the drop down, and save the EPT

5. Now when you create project using that EPT through PWA, the attached template will be used to create New project.

Note: The project template cannot be attached with your default EPT.

If you use Project professional to create New Project, follow the step to create New project using the Enterprise template:

1. Open Project Professional, and click on New.

2. Under the Available templates, click on Project Server Templates

3. Under the Project Server template tab,you can select your desired Project template.

You can also verify if your template is published on the server:

1. Click Server settings

2. Under Database Administration

3. Click delete Enterprise objects

3. Select Projects, and you can find you Project template among the list of projects.

4. You can differentiate between your template and projects through the Type column.

Does this help?

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Proposed as answer by Khurram Jamshed Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:50 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Thanks Barbara and Khurram. Your answers solved my issue. Looks like you both are really good using epm. I have an epm development question that I posted since a couple of days ago but still didn't receive an answer to. Can you please check if you have the answer. My question's title is "project 2010: updating time phased data on behalf of another resource". Any help is greatly appreciated as I need an answer to this question really urgently and as soon as possible.

Regards, George

Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Hi, 

Can we do this task through coding, like want to upload project templates with my custom code. Is It Possible ?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Follow the following link.  Maybe it will help your scenario.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg211556.aspx

Happy Coding!

kashif

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Khurram,

I have no problem saving templates in MSPS 2010.  My problem is deleting a resource from the template's resource sheet and then having that resource deletion save correctly in the template.  I am even careful enough to clean my cache between steps, but the deleted resource continues to display in the template's resource sheet.

The resource in question does not have any assignments in the template.

The environment is equipped with MSPS 2010 version SP1, and June 2011 CU.

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi

I have published few Project templates on the server,howevere i need to restrict those templates from few users.

Is there any permission which will restrict the use of templates from Project Professianal to the particular users.

Thanks and Regards

Naveen V

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:00 AM
  • Hi Naveen,

Unfortunately there is no permission which can restrict users to certain template, if the users belongs to group have permission of open project in project professional. once they have this permission they can create project using any template.

You need to design the solution in more product oriented way, i.e. to use more capabilities of product offers by design in order to achieve your objective.

One way you achieve this is to let them open/edit plan through PWA, and associate the different tempaltes with different EPTs. And the resources and EPTs should associate with the same Department, so that only the users of the similar department able to vies the EPT intended for their department.

To know more about how to use Department custom field, see this blog post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/03/17/departmental-custom-fields.aspx

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Thanks Jamshed,

That was really helpful.

I have one more question to you, can we restrict few Project plans from Project Professional.

Thanks and Regards

Naveen

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:44 AM
  • You are welcome Naveen.

Yes, you can do this by creating separate category and group. add the required projects to that category, and associate the category with the new Group. there is a group permission to be unchecked, "open project in project professional". 

hope this helps.

Note: since this thread is already closed, please mark my response as Helpful for others, if it really helps :)

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:56 AM
  • Thanks Khurram for sharing this information with us. I am going to create a separate category and group.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:24 AM