Windows 10 Client Backup Fails After Installing KB4058258 on Client PC RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed my Windows 10 client backup to Windows Home Server 2011 began failing the night after I installed KB4058258 on my Windows 10 client PC. The errors were reminiscent of the VSS problems before Windows Home Server 2011 supported UEFI. My Event Viewer shows an error such as "Backup job 33 on SERVER did not succeed.  Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String[]" under Windows Server every time I attempted a client backup after about 10 minutes.

Reinstalling the Connector software had no effect. After uninstalling KB4058258 from the Windows 10 client, I was able to back the client up again.

I discovered through searching that this update apparently addresses a VSS backup issue for an EMC product that was broken by the Fall Creators Update. However, it breaks WHS 2011 back up for me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and were you able to fix it while leaving KB4058258 installed on the client? Thanks.

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

KB4058258 is newly released update for Windows 10.

As you had mentioned that, there is no backup problem after uninstalling this KB. Please provide detail system information about your devices. And I will try to reproduce it on my test environment.

Please provide below information:
    1. On Windows 10 client, open RUN, type ”msinfo32” and end with enter. Open System Information, click File – Save, save this information as .NFO file.
    2. On Windows Home Server, reference above steps to collect the system information. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi!

I have similar effect in WHS2011 backing up Windows 10 client after update KB4058258. I have tried to give permission in component services. This advice I found from internet  -> no effect.

Then I noticed that I had installed KB4058258 and problems started immediately next day.

Error in client side (win 10):

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer

If more information can help you. Just ask, I try to provide.

WHS2011 backups is important to me because all my backups is based on it.

BR Laakspen

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:03 PM
  • I may have found a solution. I had to reinstall WHS 2011 a couple of months ago. Although I installed the 200+ updates through Windows Update that were available, I did not think to install the UEFI Hotfix I installed on my first installation many years ago. I assumed it was included somewhere in all those Updates since I was able to backup my first newly purchased Windows 10 PC for a couple of months until the latest Windows 10 Update. Since the error messages are very similar to those people used to get before the UEFI Hotfix was released, I installed the Hotfix from KB2781272 and rebooted. This caused all of my client backups to disappear in the Dashboard. I discovered others had reported this and found there were two additional Windows Updates that became available when I ran Windows Update. After installing those and rebooting the server again, my old client backups reappeared, and I have been able to backup my Windows 10 PC for several days with KB4058258 installed again on the client. Why the Hotfix and its associated updates were never integrated into the normal updates available after reinstalling WHS 2011 is a mystery to me, but it appears they were not, at least in my case. While this worked for me, I do not know what to suggest if you have installed the Hotfix in the past. Uninstalling the Hotfix looks like a real pain, so I would want a backup of my client backup database if possible before doing this, or at least be willing to lose it. My experience was good, but the client backup database can be fickle. I hope this helps you.
    • Proposed as answer by laakspen Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:11 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

@ Wonko2

Thank you for your sharing. If possible, please provide detail OS information and may try to re-place it on my test environment. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Hi Eve Wang!

I have created system info. What is the best and safest way to send it to you?

I'll send also report of changes which has occurred in my environment.

BR Laakspen

Friday, February 9, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Hi Wonko2 and Eve Wang!

Thanks Wonko2! I do not immediately do any changes, but send status report of my environment and changes in it.

I'll tell my recently changes to clarify what happened before this backup started to fail.

WHS2011
    - has got only normal windows updates
    - I have not installed hot fix KB2781272

Client Windows 10
    - I backup from client only data disks not system disk c:
    - 2.12.2017 I converted  my clients system disk from mbr to gpt and started to use uefi -> no problems with backup
    - 25.1.2018 I changed my ssd drive to new one (because got warning signs). I formatted this new one to GPT. Copied data from the old ssd. This drive is included to backup -> no problems with backup

- I wonder why backup works with uefi boot and and backin up drive which is gpt formatted and KB2781272 has not be installed by me. Or have I understand wrong WHS2011 backup and client uefi/gpt problems?  

- 1.2.2018 was KB4058258 installed and next backup failed with error message in my earlier posts. No successful backup since then
    - My client is still in this state where backup fails daily

I created also system info Eve Wang asked from Wonko2 and I'm now wondering how to send those to Eve.

BR Laakspen

Friday, February 9, 2018 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

You can upload file/screenshot to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), share them and provide me the access link.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:46 AM
  • Hi!

Can I share the link using e-mail? What is your e-mail? Should I provide some identification.

I'm quite sure that hot fix may help in this case, but also I am interested in why KB4058258 ruined my backups. 

I checked KB2781272 download ordering links. There are 3 different hot fixes what should I choose?

BR Laakspen

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

As forum supporter we can only contact customer on forum with thread reply. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

As forum supporter we can only contact customer on forum with thread reply. Sorry for the inconvenience.

>KB2781272 
    Click on "show additional information" on hotfix download webpage, choose the latest one.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Hi!

It is sad that "private connection" is not allowed between us.

I have now all these hot fixes. MSU-files are same size and with identical content. Zip-files contains disclaimers etc and it makes zipped files different sizes.Funny why MS keeps 3 files to confuse us.

Do you really want to study what is the impact of KB4058258 to this error. Because backups broke after it was installed. If you want I can give link to OneDrive in this forum discussion and remove files immediately you have got the content.

BR Laakspen

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:55 AM
  • Hi Wonko2

Thank you for your advice.

I installed Hot fix KB2781272 and rebooted. Also my backups disappeared and I was not able to delete backups or modify backup plan. I checked Windows updates and one important was found (KB2934953). It was from 2014. I installed it and old backups become visible again.

To be sure that all backups are ok, I deleted client backups, run clean up for backups. I made new backup plan (same as old one) and run successful client computer backup (lasted 11,5 hours).

Odd issues

- Why my problems started from KB4058258 installation not earlier because I have had UEFI boot since 2.12.2017 and GPT formatted data disk since 25.1.2017 (data disk in backup plan). Still all was backed up without problems

- Why Microsoft has 3 different KB2781272 hot fixes with different name confusing us at least me. All fix packages have exact same msu-file, but another stuff makes exe-file different.

Many thanks to you Wonko2, I'm in safe now!

BR Laakspen

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, you can share relate information via OneDrive. I will try to reproduce this problem, and feedback/post it to product department if it is system/update problem.

Or, consider of privacy, I would recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services, supporter will contact you via phone or email, also, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.  

In addition, if the issue has been proved as system flaw, the consulting fee would be refund. 

Global Customer Service phone numbers:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Hi!

System info of server and client in OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlV4K-TI1tHB-wwK3JWexE1XvX81

Info will be removed in 3 hours.

BR Laakspen

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

I have missed your sharing.

Consider of privacy, provide me below information first – Run “msinfo32”:
    1. Client OS version and name.
    2. WHS OS version and name.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:09 AM
  • Hi!

Here is new link.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlV4K-TI1tHB-xDZTjbxeC0ljZey

BR Laakspen

Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

I had downloaded these files and you can delete them now.

Best Regards,

Eve Wang

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Hi!

I must tell about extra fix which I got after actions I did to correct CLIENT backup with actions described above.

My SERVER backups failed every other day. I tried to solve the problem about 2 years ago using advice I found in forums: delete windowsserverbackup logs, uninstall feature "windows backup server", restart, install removed feature back, delete backup catalog, recreate backup job and services. THIS DID NOT SOLVE SERVER BACKUP PROBLEM.

When I installed uefi-hotfix KB2781272 and its "friend" KB2934953 to correct my client backup, my server has backed up also the server itself EVERY day successfully (four days now)! Had to tell this if someone else is experiencing those every other day problems.

BR Laakspen

Friday, February 16, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Following the advice to install Windows6.1-KB2781272-x64 and its "friend" KB2934953 finally after a week of work I got my first client backup successfully.

Keep update

Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Raphael9, where did you find those two hot fixes? I am searching for them currently and can't find a link to either of them. Can you share where you found them?
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:09 PM