How to force a re-sync? RRS feed

• Question

• First time an echo-syncronisation is made all the files i the left folder which is not present in the right folder are copied left to right. Subsequent changes in the left folder are enforced on the right folder - but if the entire content of the right folder is deleted or renamed (and thus is no longer present) only the files that are changed in the left folder are re transmitted - leaving a rather empty rigth-side directory.

Is there a good way to force a re-sync of all the missing files?

Would deleting and recreating the folder pair solve the problem or would it be sufficient to delete the hidden SyncToy_xyz.dat-files in either both or one of the directories?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:07 PM

All replies

• Touching all the files on the left side of the folder so as to update their LastWriteTime would force a re-sync of all the files. Otherwise, I would suggest just deleting and recreating the folder pair with the same "echo" option will help you re-sync.

Deepa

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:35 PM
  •  Deepa Choundappan wrote:

Touching all the files on the left side of the folder so as to update their LastWriteTime would force a re-sync of all the files. Otherwise, I would suggest just deleting and recreating the folder pair with the same "echo" option will help you re-sync.

Deepa

Touching all the files is not an option since that would also retransmit all the identical files. My problem is that I have a rather thin connection (sattelite from east (left side folder) to west (right side folder) Greenland) but would like to maintain a valid "backup" (in west). While it ought not to happen someone might accidentially delete something in the right side and then I would like it to be retransmitted.

Would deleting and recreating the folder pair make all the files get transmitted? Or would only the atrributes of all files + the content of the actually "updated"/"created" Left side files get transmitted? (that is what I want to acchieve)

Friday, April 4, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Deleting and recreating the folder pair should only send across those files on the left that have a later timestamp than files on the right. It might take a little more time than you anticipate as we figure out that the files are identical but we will attempt to detect that the files are the same.

Thanks
    Deepa

Saturday, April 5, 2008 1:18 AM

Hi,

Deleting and recreating the folder pair should only send across those files on the left that have a later timestamp than files on the right. It might take a little more time than you anticipate as we figure out that the files are identical but we will attempt to detect that the files are the same.

Thanks
    Deepa

It sounds like deleting and recreating the folder pair it the way to go then, but just to make sure: After recreating the folder pair what will be send across is both:

1. The files only  present in the left folder, and
    2. The files present in both folders but where the version in the left folder are "older" than those in the right. 

Right?

--

Regards

Arleth69

Monday, April 7, 2008 12:29 PM

It might take a little more time than you anticipate as we figure out that the files are identical but we will attempt to detect that the files are the same.

Thanks
    Deepa

What is it that will take more time than I anticipate? Will SyncToy read the files right to left and compare them by contrent (I hope not) or will it just do a listing of the filenames and attributes? Or something in between (perhaps the transfer of the hidden synctoy_XYZ.dat file is what you are refering to)?

I have ~ 2000 files and dont expect them to change a lot (nor to dissapear from the right side).

--

Regards

arleth69

Monday, April 7, 2008 12:52 PM