Loss of Windows Home Server connector - but server is accessible RRS feed

• Question

• In the last days I experienced a very strange behaviour on my clients of WHS.
    I upgraded to PP2 in March April and the system worked Ok.
    29th of May I realized that I was not able any longer to activate the console from the client (VISTA Ultimate) but I kept all the RDC functions and file sharing. In addition it seems that the media functions worked OK.

After some tentatives I see the icon in red color indicating the need for a connector upgrade.  The upgrade and any further tentative of installation failed. The error was that the server could not be reached at that time and suggested  to call support.

My second client (VISTA HOME) was working OK (green Icon) and it performed correctly the backup, however when I tried to activate the console I was not able to connect.

The test conducted with the toolkit mention a wrong version of the connector.

I have to admit that I do not use too much the console as I usually connect to the server in remote so I do not know when the problems showed up.

Any help s really appreciated.  As Antivirus I use AVAST
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:32 PM

Answers

• Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407 
    this is obviously the culprit. You installed something, which added .NET Framework version 1 to your server and changed the settings globally for the server. WHS needs version 2 (or later).
    Maybe changing the ASP.NET version in Internet Information Services in the properties of the WHS website will fix the issue. If not, only a server reinstall remains.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by AlfioM Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:05 PM
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• I would try to:

1. Manually uninstall current version of the connector through the control panel, add or remover programs
    2. Try to reinstall connector from http://yourservername:55000 (replace yourservername with the actual name of your server)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi 

I did try this and I get always the same results 

This operation can not be completed at this time. Please try again later.

The server configuration is as follow
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

This night the system backed up the other client , but I can not have the console software running on the other client.

Regards

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:16 PM
  • I hope it's OK to repost here as the last thread is getting no response....  AlfioM is having the same problem as I am.

After the May 29th updates (I've been on PP2 since April) all 9 computers have lost their connection to the server and all say an update is available for the connector software.
    Shares on the server are available without problem, but clients can't connect or update via the WHS connector.

I tried updating the connector directly from the <server>\software share, and it gets as far as asking for password. On entering password however it gives the same error message  - "...try again later....".

I've shut off all firewalls to test if they were the issue, but this made no difference.
    I tried putting the server in the hosts file, also to no avail.
    On trying http://<server>:55000, I get message that the server is not set up to connect on that port.

Same on both Vista and WinXP machines.
    What should I try next? Any help greatly appreciated, Andy

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Did you install any applications, which interfer with IIS?
    Such symptoms can point to issues in this direction.
    You may check the event log of the server for errors and warnings, which could be related.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Other than the anti-virus which has been on there since day one, there is nothing else running on that machine.

I checked the event log and no warnings or errors.

I'm starting to think it must have to do with the .net updates which happened on the 29th. Are they important? Does the server need .net?

Thanks, Andy

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Hi Andy,
    several WHS functions are based on .NET Framework, so yes, it plays a role to have the proper version of .NET Framework.
    Since this is a huge package, there may go sometimes something wrong. I'm not sure, if uninstalling that latest upgrade (and later install it again) would fix the behavior.

You also could try to uninstall/reinstall Power Pack 2 through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, since this also replaces the IIS configuration with previous/default settings.
    Olaf
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Hi Olaf

I tried to follow your suggestion. Unfortunately I can not uninstall the power pack 2 and even worse I can not find it  the downloadable list.

It is always stated that it will be downloaded automatically.

How could I force it again ?

Thanks for the support
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Power Pack 2 can be uninstalled via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel on the server desktop. You will have to activate the checkbox to show installed updates. After doing so you should see an entry Windows Home Server Power Pack 2 in the list.

Reinstall is possible only via Windows update (using the update button on the console), a separate download version is not available.

Olaf
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Hi
    I must be in a very strange situation it says that "this update cannot be removed"
    Maybe on top of it there were several Windows 2003 server fixes.

There is a way to force the update to re-install the package ?

Regards

Alfio
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:14 PM
  • There are some possible reasons for not being able to remove an upgrade:
    - Subsequent updates for WHS have been installed and may have to be uninstalled first. (KB963032 would be the candidate here.)
    - You may have deleted the uninstall folder for the product in the Windows directory.
    - The installation has not been completed successfully or the Windows Installer has issues.

Olaf
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Hi
    I must be in a very strange situation it says that "this update cannot be removed"
    Maybe on top of it there were several Windows 2003 server fixes.

There is a way to force the update to re-install the package ?

Regards

Alfio
    It's not a strange situation, there's a registry key preventing removal of critical updates.

To "force" uninstall run the following command in a command shell:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB956587$\spuninst\spuninst.exe.

Alternatively you can make uninstall available in add or remove programs by setting the value of the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB956587\Noremove

to 0 using the registry editor (Start, Run, Type regedit and Hit Enter).

It's probably best to remove KB963032 before removing Powerpack2.

PLEASE NOTE THAT BY DOING THIS YOU MAY END UP IN A SITUATION THAT'S EVEN WORSE.

Personally I expect uninstalling Powerpack2 will not fix your issue. Uninstalling KB963032 may however be sensible in your case since that update forces the latest connector reinstall and this update was released one or two days before you first noticed the problem. After you uninstalled the KB reboot the server, then reinstall connector on clients from http://yourservername:55000

Before trying to uninstall the KB963032 and/or Powerpack2 please file a bug a report first. This will allow the WHS team to look into and hopefully fix your issue. Instructions in the thread  Windows 7 and Windows Home Server Bugs and at the bottom of this page.
    • Edited by brubberModerator Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:57 PM added reason for uninstall option not available
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Hi Olaf, Brubber...thanks for your replies, however:

I uninstalled KB963032 and tried reconnecting from the client (http://yourservername:55000). No go.
    I uninstalled PP2 and tried reconnecting from the client. No go.
    I uninstalled .net down to version 2 and tried reconnecting. No go.
    I reinstalled PP2 and still no go.
    I even reinstalled KB963032 just for the ____ of it, and of course no go.

Vista error: "<server> not set up to establish a connecton on port "55000" with this computer.
    XP just says Internet Explorer can't display page.

Is there a way of directly setting the server to receive properly now that I have PP2 installed again?

Thanks, Andy
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Hi

I started removing KB963032  and then PP2.
    As expected I was not able to reinstall the connector.

I then reinstalled the pp2 (after the system however asked to install NTE 3.5 sp1  fixes.)

Again it did not work.

Currently (I will finish this evening) I am uninstalling all the changes I introduced after pp2 and pp2 itself.

I will keep you post about the outcome.

I also performed some of the test foreseen in the MS document on  the subject.
    I will provide also the outcome.

Regards

Alfio
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Hi Alfio,
    can you check the settings for the Windows Firewall on the server. Does it still contain the exception HTTP for port 55000?
    Olaf
    Friday, June 5, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Hi 

I tried all 

I did removed all included :net 3.0 and 2.0 and reinstalled .Net 2.0 and PP2.

I can run the console on the server but no connector.

Regarding the firewall port 55000 and 80 are open. I can install (start the installation is more appropriate) from this port from my client.

The problem is in ISS in my opinion I sent the logs to Microsoft as part of the bug.

when I tried on the client 
    http://XXXXXXX:55000/enrollid/id.aspx

I got 

Server Error in '/EnrollId' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

On the server (local)

Server Error in '/EnrollId' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

Line 2:  <configuration>
    Line 3:  	<appSettings/>
    Line 4:  	<connectionStrings/>
    Line 5:  	<system.web>
    Line 6:  		<compilation debug="true"/>

Source File: C:\inetpub\intranet\web.config    Line: 4

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407 

Friday, June 5, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407 
    this is obviously the culprit. You installed something, which added .NET Framework version 1 to your server and changed the settings globally for the server. WHS needs version 2 (or later).
    Maybe changing the ASP.NET version in Internet Information Services in the properties of the WHS website will fix the issue. If not, only a server reinstall remains.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by AlfioM Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:05 PM
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:54 AM
  • This is very interesting . I did not note this element.

according to my log I did not (consciously) installed anything on the server

I checker IIS and I noted that both version 1 and 2 are selectable

I was able to change  the property  in the Delfalt Web Site -> aspnet_client-> system Web and

into WHS Site -> aspnet_client-> system Web 

At higher level  WEB Sites under asp net tab just mention version 1

But reinstalling the server will be quite inconvenient  (I do not have  an extra monitor currently and it is located in my cellar)

Regards

Alfio

Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Olaf

your suggestion was succesful 

I had to replace one by one all the entries in the ISS properties for ASP NET  to 2.0 

After I did it  it worked immediately

I suspect that one of the update for .Net 3.5 sp1 did all this mess.
    Thanks for the support

Alfio
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:09 PM
  • AlfioM & Olaf,

I got the same problem solved by following this. Thank you very much!

But it took long time for me to find out that each Virtual Directory needed to be changed one by one from ASP NET 1.1 to 2.0.
    At first I changed only each Website and I even installed .NET Framework 3.0 to try if it helps. It works now well with .NET Framework 3.0 when each Website and each Virtual Directory under Websited is changed to be with ASP NET 2.0.

With thanks!

Terola
    Monday, June 22, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Hi :-) Following a re-install of .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 I have exactly the symptoms AlfioM talks about.  I read the following from Olaf:-

Maybe changing the ASP.NET version in Internet Information Services in the properties of the WHS website will fix the issue.

I am not so technical to know how to do this could you give me some pointers please?

Thanks in advance, Peter

• Edited by Peter W Baker Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:57 PM miss typed version number!
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Open Control Panel, double click Administrative Tools, double click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. You should now see a window titled Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager with two tabs and a tree view on the left tab. Expand “Server Name (local computer)” where server name is HPSERVER on mine, then expand Web Sites. From here you can right click on Default Web Site or WHS site and select Properties. Click the ASP.NET tab in the Properties dialog it should be 2.0.50727 if you have the latest version installed.

Of course, take this with the usual caveat that touching anything in Internet Information Services may break your server.

"Peter W Baker" wrote in message news:83842580-4d99-4da5-b77d-93fc124c2e15...

Hi :-) Following a re-install of .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 I have exactly the symptoms AlfioM talks about.  I read the following from Olaf:-

Maybe changing the ASP.NET version in Internet Information Services in the properties of the WHS website will fix the issue.

I am not so technical to know how to do this could you give me some pointers please?

Thanks in advance, Peter

Monday, January 3, 2011 12:47 AM