Network Load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Is there any metrics or model available that can provide us with some idea of what can we can expect in terms network traffic due to the introduction of Project Online (and MS Project Pro 2013)?  We are wondering if and when and where we might need to add additional network throughput capacity to our LAN/ WAN.

I looked at the present mpp files we have (via the local cache in MS Project Pro) and found at least the size of these project files (in KB).  From there I could try and and extrapolate what it means to save, publish a file, etc., on the network... but this is so crude.  Better than nothing though.

I also hoped the 'Manage Queue' could provide some insight, but unfortunately it does not provide much other than the types of job types, etc.

Any help/ insight would be greatly appreciated.

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Spiro,

Since which Project Online, you have no access to the infrastructure, you'll encounter some limitations. There are TechNet articles for running performance labs, but only on-prem. You could always use a LAN monitoring tool to monitor your network while saving, publishing a project, submitting timesheets.

You could also rely on the datasets provided by Microsoft for on-prem infra to have a rough idea of the best practices.

Finally note that Project Online had an upgrade for optimizing the performance:

https://blogs.office.com/2014/10/21/performance-scale-improvements-project-online/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:33 AM
  • Awesome! thanks for this.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:51 AM
  • Just some remarks for future readers...The first two (2) URLs your provided above are with regards to On-Premises (i.e., Project Server focused), and the 3<sup>rd</sup> bullet is performance related, not bandwidth related.

I also got the following input...

There are a large number of factors which will impact the perceived traffic load, including number of users, type of activity, etc.

The good news is that the Project client uses a caching mechanism so that when a PM opens a project for a second and subsequent times, only the delta changes to the project are downloaded.  Accordingly, the Project client often has little impact on bandwidth utilization.

Likely the worst offender will be users who are doing reporting, or if you are running an on-premises SSIS server to download OData for reporting.  If users are constantly hitting the server for rich, complex – and data intensive – reports, this will consume bandwidth.

Really though, none of this should even make a blip on the radar.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:52 PM