Windows SBS 2003 R2 / WHS RRS feed

• Question

• If you are already running SBS as a home server does anyone see any features that would be in WHS that wouldn't be in SBS? SBS seems a little more complicated to set up and run, compared to WHS, so I am trying to determine what the differences would be and if it would be worthwhile to run one over the other or together?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:37 AM

Answers

• Small Business Server is significantly more complex to configure correctly than WHS. It's also way more expensive for the same number of users than WHS is likely to be. However, it's probably more feature-rich. If you use Exchange or AD at home, you will not find those tools available in WHS and so it may prove disappointing.

WHS backup is, as already stated, much superior. It's easier to use. It offers the core features that families with multiple PCs are looking for: data protection, a way to share their "stuff", central storage, and easy expandability.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:27 PM

All replies

• whs Backup tech is better. Also drive extender.

SBS has more functionality for the techie, ie email, sql. But for the average home user, whs hits the spot.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Small Business Server is significantly more complex to configure correctly than WHS. It's also way more expensive for the same number of users than WHS is likely to be. However, it's probably more feature-rich. If you use Exchange or AD at home, you will not find those tools available in WHS and so it may prove disappointing.

WHS backup is, as already stated, much superior. It's easier to use. It offers the core features that families with multiple PCs are looking for: data protection, a way to share their "stuff", central storage, and easy expandability.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Would you be able to comment on how easy it would be to use both products so they co-exist? It would be great to be able to use WHS for the back-up and easy folder sharing, but also SBS with the features that it has available. I would assume that this is doable, but I am not really an expert at this kind of thing.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:50 PM
  • It's very easy, really. Assuming you're using AD, just make sure you never join WHS to the domain. Because it's built on Windows Server 2003 for SBS, if it's joined to the domain it will break fairly catastrophically unless you make it the PDC (and that will break your current PDC).

If you're not using AD, no worries.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:58 PM
  • SBS lacks what WHS has and visa versa.  The auto back-up of computers, it's file sharing thus far seems superb. 

• Is there a way to merge the two servers onto a single system in such a way that both work without destroying each other? 

Such an interlaced server would be a full package that I personally can see as a "Best Seller".  As they are now, standing alone, never touching and requiring 2 separate WATT killers, Electric bill builders are independent sellers.

Reading through the hundreds of emails it is easy to note that We Beta Testers feel WHS is a good product.  In supporting the "good product", there are hundreds asking about missing supportive software modules and/or supporting the need to merge WHS into a box with another system, thus reducing total costs of hardware and that electric bill that again is due to rise next month.

Perhaps the Microsoft Guru's that are monitoring this forum have already done so, but if they have not; how about keeping it simple by using that Excel program, gather up all of the responses of "no need for anything else", "Need Exchange", "Need" this, or that and chart out the supported Tester/Users Trend in feelings.  It might be too late to catch that boat that left, but the boat that's arriving soon has room to provide additional profit for Microsoft, while meetiing the Tester/ Heavy to Light User REQUIREMENTS.  By the way, my Mom said she'd use WHS, if I purchased her the hardware, software and pay the increase in her electric bill.  Hmmmm, Mom!

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:53 AM
  • While it's probably technically possible to merge the two, I don't see it happening in a way that home users would want to buy. (Those home users are the target market for WHS; I don't see Microsoft abandoning that target.)

First, it would probably take a lot of effort. Second, if you merge the capabilities of WHS with SBS, you wind up with SBS+, and that's going to be at least as expensive as SBS is right now. And third, WHS is intentionally simplified for the home market. The only interaction most WHS "admins" will ever have with the server is via the console. Merging with SBS would require either putting wizards that a non-technical person could understand and use successfully in a wide range of scenarios, or it would require abandoning that requirement.
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:00 AM
  • What you share is true for the Mom's, the light Home User. What of those at home, or SOHO that use SBS and see the value of what WHS offers.  Myself, WHS is a fine, extremely light server and I strongly agree with so many others, WHS misses some basics for the power user.  Microsoft created a world of computer users that do not come from our System 38's, but from the PC.  These users are here, now and ready to turn the pages of a tome(s) to bring together what Microsoft has created, offers.

Understandably the pricing factor presently prevents the combination of SBS to WHS, but what of WHS to SBS.  My question is still:

• Is there PRESENTLY a way to merge the two servers onto a single system in such a way that both work without destroying each other?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:55 AM
  •  PatrickFrink wrote:

What you share is true for the Mom's, the light Home User. What of those at home, or SOHO that use SBS and see the value of what WHS offers.  Myself, WHS is a fine productonly I strongly agree with so many others, WHS misses some basics for the power user.  Microsoft created a world of computer users that do not come from our System 38's, but from the PC.  These users are here, now and ready to turn the pages of a tome(s) to bring together what Microsoft has created, offers.

Understandably the pricing factor presently prevents the combination of SBS to WHS, but what of WHS to SBS.  My question is still:

• Is there PRESENTLY a way to merge the two servers onto a single system in such a way that both work without destroying each other?

The answer is, no. SBS requires AD and AD breaks WHS and violates the EULA.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:59 AM
  • As stated, no, there is not. If your household has needs that go beyond WHS into the territory that SBS covers (AD, Exchange, etc.), then SBS is probably a better solution for you. If you want WHS for the backup solution anyway, you can use it in concert with a SBS domain. You just can't add it to the domain, and you should also avoid giving it a workgroup with the same name as the domain.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 3:23 AM