none
Have an option (css) to control forums appearance RRS feed

• Question

• I suggest to have an option (or few options) to control how the threads will look like. For example, the forum's view may have an option to not display this huge box telling the number of votes and type of the thread, but distinguish it by appropriate colors (pictographs) as it was in the previous MSDN design. Another option may control if we want to see thread's text in the main view or not (I prefer to just see the titles). And one more option may control the page numbering style.

This way we can have a default as it is right now but people would be able to configure forums for their individual preferences and the most comfort of operations.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:14 PM

All replies

• There are already some configuration options. Particularly, you can choose between a straight chronological list and a threaded view where you see who replied to whom.

I would appreciate a possibility be to able to customise what I see. But I reckon that tons of options create big testing matrix for Microsoft. HowHowever, they could have a couple pre-baked views. One for regular users who just asking questions and looking for answers, and one fous who mainly answer questions. We don't need to see the number of votes, for a thread for instance, but number of replies may be more relevant.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Can you explain the process to me, please?

See also this new article http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18057.my-impressions-about-forum-s-re-design.aspx - I just needed to express how I feel.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:30 AM
  • Can you explain the process to me, please?

Hm, what process? Or the question wasn't directed to me?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:08 AM
  • There are already some configuration options. Particularly, you can choose between a straight chronological list and a threaded view where you see who replied to whom.

What exactly did you mean? In any case, my eyes are tired after being in the forums for more than half hour. 

I ask forum's team to revert the changes they imposed on us and bring the old interface back along with the bridge. Only this action can save the forums.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:04 PM
  • You can choose between "Flat view" and "Threaded view" in My Settings, which you find at the bottom of the list under "Quick Access" in the upper left corner.

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:09 PM