How to set manually IP address for homeserver.com domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

My router gets internet connection from another computer and uses therefore LAN IP address (internet is coming in over mobile network). When I want to set up homeserver.com subdomain then WHS resolves it to wrong IP (internal one). Is there any way how I can set correct IP for homeserver.com subdomain manually?

With best regards,
    Gunnar Peipman

Also visit my ASP.NET and SharePoint blog!
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• It's not completely clear to me exactly how your network is configured, but it sounds like you have a PC acting as a router to allow you a cellular connection to the Internet, then a separate router, then your server? This creates what's usually called a "double NAT" situation, where each router in turn does it's own address translation. Simplest would be to replace the second router with a switch, then manually configure the PC you're using as a router to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 (4125 is only required for WHS V1, not for WHS 2011) to your server. Your server will require a static IP address, or a DHCP reservation, in this case. Failing that, forward the same ports from the PC to your router, then from your router to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Configuration right now (and it works fine - even XBox is happy) is like this:

1. I have one computer with Windows 7 Professional having two responsibilities:
      - connect to web over mobile network (USB mobile stick with 3.6 Mbit/sec download speed)
      - provide web connection to router (it has wireless support to for laptops)
      - mobile connection is shared using Internet Connection Sharing
    2. XBox and WHS are connected to usual ports of router while computer mentioned in first point is connected to internet port of router (this is the port where usually ISP cable is connected)
    3. My router is Linksys WRT54G
    4. Win7, WHS and router have static IP addresses, laptops get IP addresses from DHCP provided by router

Now the problem is that WHS thinks that router is connected directly to web and it can read external IP address from router. Router has nothing to do with external network in my case. I want WHS to bind homeserver.net subdomain with IP of mobile modem and as WHS is not able to find this address by itself I'm trying to find a way how to set this address manually.

With best regards,
    Gunnar Peipman

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Configuration right now (and it works fine - even XBox is happy) is like this:

1. I have one computer with Windows 7 Professional having two responsibilities:
      - connect to web over mobile network (USB mobile stick with 3.6 Mbit/sec download speed)
      - provide web connection to router (it has wireless support to for laptops)
      - mobile connection is shared using Internet Connection Sharing
    2. XBox and WHS are connected to usual ports of router while computer mentioned in first point is connected to internet port of router (this is the port where usually ISP cable is connected)
    3. My router is Linksys WRT54G
    4. Win7, WHS and router have static IP addresses, laptops get IP addresses from DHCP provided by router

Now the problem is that WHS thinks that router is connected directly to web and it can read external IP address from router. Router has nothing to do with external network in my case. I want WHS to bind homeserver.net subdomain with IP of mobile modem and as WHS is not able to find this address by itself I'm trying to find a way how to set this address manually.

Your network topology is as I thought, then.

The PC in your first bullet point is a router. That's what ICS really is; software that lets a PC act as a router. This isn't a common network configuration for home users; normally you have a broadband modem and a router on the edge of your network, or a combination device which does double duty. You can try to configure it to forward ports appropriately to the internal Linksys router, or you can remove the internal linksys router from the equation. Those are really your only options. There's no way to "bind" your homeserver.com vanity URL; that happens automatically through the dynamic DNS client that's built into Windows Home Server.

Monday, August 1, 2011 10:49 AM
  • There are more problems and these problems are related to USB modems - UPnP services start consuming a lot of CPU. I bought 3G modem that is now connected to my wireless router. WHS is connected to router, I assigned it static IP and it works well. Now the only problem is I have to trick the system so I get my subdomain registered. Should be simple. I have static IP (registered in 3G modem) and I have to reconfigure this router and connect it directly to WHS. After my subdomain is set up I can reconnect devices like they are connected right now.
    With best regards,
    Gunnar Peipman

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:53 PM
  • What you need (at the end of the day) is for port 443 (and optionally port 80) to be forwarded from your internet connection, though all intermediate router-type devices, to your home server. Assuming ports are forwarded correctly to your server, your server should take care of the other side, which is configuring dynamic DNS.

Your router manual will tell you how to forward ports from it to your server. I don't know anything about your cellular modem, but if it includes router functionality you'll need to forward the same ports from the cellular modem to your router that you forward from your router to your server.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Well, the routing is done through both modem (it has router functionality too) and LAN router. I think WHS is able to detect LAN router and wants to configure it. I'll try to configure WHS subdomain as I described previously, let's see what happens. Both routers have UPnP support. On modem one it is enabled and on LAN one it is disabled.
    With best regards,
    Gunnar Peipman

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:17 PM
  • With two routers, you will have to manually configure the one your server doesn't conenct directly to even if they both support UPnP. So just turn off UPnP in both and do manual port forwarding.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:05 PM