Looking for a sample that adds a button to the navigation bar on a open account RRS feed

• Question

• I am new in customizing CRM 2013 (Online) and my first exercise would be to add an extra button to the navigation bar when you have one account open.

See image below.

I have found the CRM SiteMap Editor and I can add subgroups, but it is not clear to me :

1. How to get a new item on this level

2. What are the "passed parameters"

A walkthrough or sample customization.xml file would really help.

I have gotton as far as this:

With this XML:

<Group Id="Collateral" ResourceId="Area_Collateral" DescriptionResourceId="Area_Collateral_Description">
          <SubArea Id="nav_quotes" DescriptionResourceId="Quote_SubArea_Description" Entity="quote" GetStartedPanePath="Quotes_Web_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdmin="Quotes_Web_Admin_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathOutlook="Quotes_Outlook_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdminOutlook="Quotes_Outlook_Admin_Visor.html" />
          <SubArea Id="nav_orders" DescriptionResourceId="Orders_SubArea_Description" Entity="salesorder" GetStartedPanePath="Orders_Web_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdmin="Orders_Web_Admin_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathOutlook="Orders_Outlook_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdminOutlook="Orders_Outlook_Admin_Visor.html" />
          <SubArea Id="nav_invoices" DescriptionResourceId="Invoice_SubArea_Description" Entity="invoice" GetStartedPanePath="Invoices_Web_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdmin="Invoices_Web_Admin_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathOutlook="Invoices_Outlook_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdminOutlook="Invoices_Outlook_Admin_Visor.html" />
          <SubArea Id="nav_products" DescriptionResourceId="Product_SubArea_Description" Entity="product" GetStartedPanePath="Products_Web_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdmin="Products_Web_Admin_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathOutlook="Products_Outlook_User_Visor.html" GetStartedPanePathAdminOutlook="Products_Outlook_Admin_Visor.html" />
          <SubArea Id="nav_saleslit" DescriptionResourceId="SalesLit_SubArea_Description" Entity="salesliterature" />
    <SubArea Id="Community" PassParams="true" Icon="$webresource:new_communityImage32" OutlookShortcutIcon="$webresource:new_communityImage16" Url="$webresource:new_launchConnections">
            <Titles>
              <Title Title="Go to Community" LCID="1033" />
            </Titles>
          </SubArea>
        </Group>

But this "just" adds the button to the Collateral group, available in the general navigation bar, see screenshot:

• Edited by mpjjonker Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:22 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I believe it would make more sense to add the button in the Command Bar where buttons like "New", "Save", etc. appear instead of adding it in the Navigation Bar. Whenever you add a button in the Navigation bar, it cannot be shown/hidden if a single record is open.

You can have a look here to see how to add a button in Command Bar (earlier known as the Ribbon) : http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2012/05/managing-activatedeactivate-permissions-of-crm-entities.html

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Thanks, I have looked at the Ribbon Workbench.

Can you maybe tell me how I can pass data from the current entity (eg Account) to the command / button / URL ?

Should I provided a websource HTML page that picks up the parameters  defined in the Command Action?

I am trying this out an this URL is produced:

https://spsa0001.crm4.dynamics.com/%7B635394561380000581%7D/WebResources/new_launchConnections?entityName=account&entityType=1&id=%7bFD36BE88-ECFB-E311-A8DE-2C59E5419D10%7d&orglcid=1033&orgname=orgb7c281f3&type=1&typename=account&userlcid=1033

Where I defined the entityName and entityType parameters...

The result is an empty page

• Edited by mpjjonker Friday, June 27, 2014 8:58 AM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to pass the current Entity Type an Entity Id, you could do so using the <CrmParameter> tag. Have a look here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/gg309332.aspx

And here's an example for you : http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/Obtaining-GUIDs-Of-Selected-Items-Their-Entity-Type-And-Count-From-MS-Dynamics-CRM-2011-Homepage-Grid-1856.php

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Thanks, I think I can get this to work, but I am also looking for a way to get this function in the navigation bar (see screenshot).

So I leave this question open, even though you provided a fine alternative (from a technical perspective).

Friday, June 27, 2014 1:12 PM