Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition Reinstall - Product ID not valid RRS feed

• Question

• I am now starting to get extremelly frustrated with this and hoping that someone will be able to help me.  I purchased a Dell Server that has a Product Key for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (displayed on the unit).  Because this was a previous Business machine all of the OS had been removed.  I am trying to install the OS again and even though i was not given any of the original software with the machine i have sorced the correct version of the software to use but when i try to install, it says that the Product ID is not valid. I have also tried downloading a trial version of the 2003 Enterprise Edition Software from the Microsoft website in which i was given a Product Key to use, but this also says Product ID is invalid.  Is there something I need to do on the machine first or can anyone throw anylight on this error.
    I have been trying to install this all week now and im starting to run out of time.
    Many Thanks
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:54 PM

Answers

• There are different product keys for different versions of the software. Your server came with OEM software, which has an OEM product key. That product key may not work for other OEM software, and will certainly not work for a "retail" version of the software, or for Technet/MSDN software. Likewise for the trial software, with the added caveat that the trial version of the software will expire and there is no way you can prevent that no matter what product key you use.

Get yourself a software package and product key that match. It's the only thing you can do. For more information about Windows Server 2008, see the appropriate forums .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 9:10 PM